The purpose of this study was to determine the correlation between the level of anger and the job motivation of nurses working in a psychiatric ward. The research included 378 nurses who worked full time in inpatient psychiatric wards in 10 hospitals located in Turkey. A descriptive characteristics questionnaire, the Trait Anger–Anger Expression Scale, and a job motivation questionnaire were used as data collection tools. Psychiatric ward nurses who do not suppress their anger, who can control their anger when necessary, and who can decisively and appropriately verbalize difficult feelings such as anger and their desires have a higher level of job motivation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hospital nurses' job satisfaction, individual and organizational characteristics.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2000; 32: 536-543
- Correlation between commitment to hospital goals and job satisfaction: A case study of a nursing department.Health Care Management Review. 1990; 15: 51-62
- Mental health psychiatric nursing: A holistic life-cycle approach.Mosby Company, Toronto1984
- Examination of quality of patient care on a psychiatric ward.Journal of Ege University School of Nursing. 1999; 15: 29-36
- Community mental health nurses in Wales: Self reported stressors and coping strategies.Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2000; 7: 523-528
- Expressions of anger by people who work in the mental health field.Journal of Turkish Psychologist Association. 1998; 15 (Ankara): 463-479
- Job satisfaction levels and effecting factors of nurses.Journal of Ege University School of Nursing. 2004; 20: 47-55
- Occupational and nonoccupational factors in job satisfaction and psychological distress among nurses.Research in Nursing and Health. 1997; 20: 453-464
- Nurses responses to patients' anger behaviour and the nurses anger level.Journal of Cumhuriyet University School of Nursing. 1999; 3: 20-26
- Determination of nurses' levels of anger and expressions of anger.Journal of Ege University School of Nursing. 2000; 16: 21-28
- Investigation of Prelicience Nurse Students' Anger, anxiety, depression scales points. IV.in: National Book of Nursing Education Symposium, Cyprus. 1997: 307-310
- Nurses' motivation and its correlation to the characteristics of nursing care delivery systems: A test of the Job Characteristic Model.Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership. 1999; 12: 14-22
- Stress and burnout in community health nursing: A review of the literature.Journal of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. 2000; 7: 7-14
- Avoidance achievement motivation: A personal goals analysis.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1997; 73: 171-185
- The relationship between sleep patterns and job satisfaction of intensive care unit nurses.Journal of Ege University School of Nursing. 2004; 20: 45-55
- Burnout in community mental health nurses. Findings from the All-Wales Stress Study.Journal of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. 2000; 7: 127-134
- A structural model of achievement motives, performance approach and avoidance goals, and performance among Norwegian Olympic athletes.Perceptions and Motor Skillls. 1999; 89: 997-1022
- Who wants to be a psychiatric nurse? Novice student nurses' interests in psychiatric nursing.Journal of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. 1999; 6: 479-484
- Burnout and job satisfaction: A comparative study of psychiatric nurses from forensics and a mainstream mental health service.International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2003; 12: 39-47
- Main psychiatric theories in nursing.Journal of Vehbi Koç Association. 1987; (Kumral, A., (Trans.)) (Istanbul): 1-10
- Exploring the correlation between work stress, years of experience and emotional competency using a sample of Australian mental health nurses.Journal of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. 2001; 8: 399-403
- Job enrichment, work motivation, and job satisfaction in hospital wards: Testing the Job Characteristics Model.Journal of Nursing Management. 1995; 3: 87-91
- Causality orientations, failure, and achievement.Journal of Personality. 1994; 62: 321-346
- Changes in the work and motivation of staff delivering home care services in Finland.Public Health Nursing. 1999; 16: 60-71
- Introduction to psychology.Journal of Hacettepe University Psychology Department. 1999; 1 (Karakaş, S. (Trans)) (Ankara): 5-18
- Preliminary study of the Trait Anger and Anger Expression Scale.Journal of Turkish Psychology. 1994; 9: 26-35
- The consequences of emotional labor. Effects on work stress, job satisfaction, and well being.Motivation and Emotion. 1999; 23: 125-154
- The psychological contracts of national health service nurses.Journal of Nursing Management. 2003; 11: 107-120
- Self-determination theory and facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being.American Psychologist. 2000; 55: 68-78
- Frequently used scales in the evaluation of cognitive–behavioral therapy.Journal of Turkish Psychologists Associations. 1997; 9 (Ankara): 71-78
- Assessment of anger: The State–Trait Anger Scale.in: Butcher N. Spielberger C.D. Advances in personality assessment. 2. Lea, Hillsdale, NJ1983: 159-188
- Mosby, St. Louis, MO1991: 193-207 Actualizing the nursing role: Professional performance standards.
- Essentials of psychiatric nursing.13th ed. Mosby, Toronto1990
- Managing motivation and developing job satisfaction in the health care work environment.Health Care Management. 2001; 20: 42-58
- The relationship between various factors with nurses' levels of burnout.Journal of Ege University School of Nursing. 2000; 16: 59-73
Üstün, B. 1995. Nurses' levels of assertiveness and burnout. Doctoral Thesis. Hacettepe University, Health Science Institute, Ankara.
© 2006 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.