- •Barriers to care for people with co-occurring disorders are described in a qualitative study.
- •The client and professional perspectives can be out of step with what the care system actually proposes.
- •Professionals need to take into account contexts with potentially multiple barriers to care.
- •Providers in each local area should examine possible barriers and find solutions together.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Comorbidity of mental health and substance misuse problems: A review of workers' reported attitudes and perceptions.Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2008; 15: 101-108
- Nature, level, and type of networking for individuals with dual diagnosis: A European perspective.Drugs. 2011; 18: 393-401
- Myth of mental health nursing and the challenge of recovery.International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2011; 20: 337-344
- Reasons and determininants for not receiving treatment for common mental disorders.Psychiatric Services. 2010; 61: 250-257
- Policy and practice implications of epidemiological surveys on co-occuring mental and substance use disorders.Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2008; 34: 3-13
- Development and psychometric properties the Barriers to Access to Care Evaluation scale (BACE) related to people with mental ill health.BMC Psychiatry. 2012; 12: 1-11
- The lived experience of community mental health nurses working with people who have dual diagnosis: A phenomenological study.Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2007; 14: 382-392
- Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches.3rd ed. SAGE Publications, London2012
- Implementing dual diagnosis services for clients with severe mental illness.Psychiatric Services. 2001; 52: 469-476
- Dual diagnosis: 15 years of progress.Psychiatric Services. 2000; 51: 1126-1129
- The qualitative content analysis process.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2008; 62: 107-115
- Mental health in the community: The pathways to psychiatric care.1980 (London: Tavistock)
- Pathways through care for people with dual diagnosis in Europe: Results from the treatment options for dual diagnosis user zoom instrument.Mental Health and Substance Use. 2011; 4: 195-210
- Contrasting the views of substance misuse and mental health treatment providers in treating the dually diagnosed.Substance Use & Misuse. 2003; 38: 1433-1446
- A ‘dual diagnosis’ community nurse service in Lanarkshire.Service Innovation. 2008; 32: 139-142
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qualitative Health Research. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- Framework for promoting mental health in Europe.National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Hamina, Finland1999 (http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_projects/1996/promotion/fp_promotion_1996_frep_15_en.pdf)
- Reflexive accounts and accounts of reflexivity in qualitative data analysis.Sociology. 2003; 37: 413-431
- The nature of psychiatric nursing: The intersection of paradigm, evolution, and history.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2002; XVI: 51-60
- Nursing research. The application of qualitative approaches.2nd ed. Chapman & Hall, London1996
- National Institute for Welfare and Health, Finland.https://www.thl.fi/en/web/thlfi-en/research-and-expertwork/projects-and-programmes/mieli-planDate: 2010
- Disengagement from mental health services a literature review.Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2009; 44: 558-568
- Integrating mental health and addictions services to improve client outcomes.Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2013; 34: 752-756
- The use of the repertory grid technique to examine staff beliefs about clients with dual diagnosis.Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy. 2009; 16: 148-158
- Perceived barriers to mental health service utilization in the United States, Ontario, and the Netherlands.Psychiatric Services. 2007; 58: 357-364
- Kaksoisdiagnoosiasiakkaiden palveluiden arviointi Tampereella. The evaluation of services for the dually diagnosed in Tampere. Tampereen kaupunki, Julkaisuja 13/2007.2007 (In Finnish)
- Defining dual diagnosis: A qualitative study of the views of health care workers.Mental Health and Substance Use. 2008; 1: 194-204
- Improving services for individuals with a dual diagnosis: A qualitative study reporting on the views of service users.Addiction Research and Theory. 2011; 19: 47-55
- Defining dual diagnosis of mental illness and substance misuse: Some methodological issues.Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2004; 11: 48-54
- Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): A 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.International Journal for Quality in Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357
- Delay and failure in treatment seeking after first onset of mental disorders in the World Health Organization's World Mental Health Survey Initiative.World Psychiatry. 2007; 6: 177-185
- Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects.World Medical Association, 1995/2004