- •This is the first methodological study to validate the psychometric characteristics of the Perinatal Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Questionnaire (PPQ) among Chinese mothers.
- •The Chinese version of the PPQ (PPQ-C) is a reliable and valid measure of perinatal posttraumatic stress disorder (PPTSD) symptoms in a Chinese context.
- •The PPQ-C has the potential to be used as a screening tool for earlier recognition and treatment of PPTSD symptoms among mothers in the Chinese population, especially those at high risk.
Perinatal posttraumatic stress disorder (PPTSD) is a common stress-induced mental disorder worldwide. The Perinatal Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Questionnaire (PPQ) is an excellent questionnaire that measures the symptoms of PPTSD, but has not been translated into Chinese yet.
The aims of this study were to develop a translated Chinese version of the (PPQ) and validate the psychometric characteristics of the PPQ in a Chinese context.
After translation, back-translation, and expert discussion, 280 mothers at 1 to 18 months postpartum filled out the questionnaires through the Internet. Then the reliability and validity of the translated questionnaire were tested.
The Chinese version of PPQ (PPQ-C) was composed of 14 items. Cronbach's α coefficient was 0.84, test-retest reliability was 0.88, and the content validity was 0.99. Exploratory factor analysis extracted three factors (representing “arousal”, “avoidance” and “intrusion”) accounted for 53.30% of the variance. The established 3 factors model was well fitted with the collected data (χ2 = 76.40, p < 0.05).
Implications for practice
The PPQ-C is a short, reliable, and valid instrument that measures the symptoms of PPTSD, and it is recommend for clinical screening.
Implications for research
Further research could involve diverse participants, as well as better adapt the PPQ-C to Chinese culture.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Confirmatory factor analysis of the geriatric depression scale.The Gerontologist. 2004; 44: 818-826https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/44.6.818
- A prospective longitudinal study of the prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from childbirth events.Psychological Medicine. 2010; 40: 1849-1859https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291709992224
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders.5th edition. American Psychiatric Association (APA), Washington D.C.2013
- The aetiology of post-traumatic stress following childbirth: A meta-analysis and theoretical framework.Psychological Medicine. 2016; 46: 1121-1134
- Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures.Spine. 2000; 25: 3186-3191
- Psychological therapies for chronic post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in adults.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2013; 12https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003388
- Effects of an early intervention on maternal post-traumatic stress symptoms and the quality of mother–infant interaction: The case of preterm birth.Infant Behavior & Development. 2014; 37: 624-631https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infbeh.2014.08.003
- Psychological outcomes and measurement of maternal posttraumatic stress disorder during the perinatal period.The Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. 2008; 22: 49-59
- Modification of the Perinatal PTSD Questionnaire to enhance clinical utility.Journal of Perinatology Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association. 2006; 26: 533-539
- Confirmatory factor analysis of the Pain Catastrophizing Scale in African American and Caucasian Workers' Compensation claimants with low back injuries.Pain. 2005; 113: 369-375
- The characteristics and severity of psychological distress after abortion among university students.The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. 2013; 40: 279-293https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-013-9328-0
- Perinatal stressors as predictors of symptoms of posttraumatic stress in mothers of infants at high risk.Journal of Perinatology. 1996; 16: 276-280
- Test-retest reliability of an upper-extremity discomfort questionnaire in an industrial population.Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. 1997; 23: 299-307
- Considering PTSD for DSM-5.Depression and Anxiety. 2011; 28: 750-769
- Evaluation of dimensionality in the assessment of internal consistency reliability: Coefficient alpha and omega coefficients.Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice. 2015; 34: 14-20https://doi.org/10.1111/emip.12100
- Prevalence and risk factors of postpartum posttraumatic stress disorder: A meta-analysis.Clinical Psychology Review. 2014; 34: 389-401
- Effects of perinatal stress and maternal traumatic stress on the cortisol regulation of preterm infants.Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2014; 27: 488-491https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.21939
- Structural equation modelling: An alternative for assessing causal relationships in threatened plant populations.Biological Conservation. 2003; 113: 367-377
- Maternal posttraumatic stress response after the birth of a very low-birth-weight infant.Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2004; 57: 473-476
- A meta-analysis of the factor structure of the Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): The effects of language.International Psychogeriatrics. 2013; 25: 71-81https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610212001421
- The psychological consequences of childbirth.Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology. 2005; 26: 108-122
- Post-traumatic stress disorder in parturients delivering by caesarean section and the implication of anaesthesia: A prospective cohort study.Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 2017; 15: 118https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-017-0692-y
- Power analysis in covariance structure modeling using GFI and AGFI.Multivariate Behavioral Research. 1997; 32: 193-210
- Development and validation of the French version of a tool assessing patient's expectations in lower limb osteoarthritis.Journal of Orthopaedics. 2015; 12: 46-57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2014.06.002
- Content validity of the Toronto Pain Management Inventory-Acute Coronary Syndrome Version.Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2014; 24: 11-18
- Reliability and validity of the Korean version of the Perinatal Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Questionnaire.Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2016; 46: 29-38https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.1.29
- Validation française d'un questionnaire de stress post-traumatique destiné aux parents d'enfants présentant un risque périnatal élevé French validation of the “Perinatal PTSD Questionnaire” assessing parent's posttraumatic stress reactions following the birth of a high risk infant.Annales Médico Psychologiques. 2004; 162: 711-721https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amp.2003.10.017
- Parental post-traumatic reactions after premature birth: Implications for sleeping and eating problems in the infant.Archives of Disease in Childhood. Fetal and Neonatal Edition. 2003; 88: 400-404https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20147
- The content validity index: Are you sure you know what's being reported? Critique and recommendations.Research in Nursing & Health. 2006; 29: 489-497
- Convergent and discriminant validity of the perinatal PTSD questionnaire (PPQ): A preliminary study.Journal of Traumatic Stress. 1999; 12: 193-199https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024714903950
- The effects of preterm birth on mother-infant interaction and attachment during the infant's first two years.Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. 2012; 91: 164-173
- Using multivariate statistics.HarperCollins College Publishers, 2001
- An evidence review and model for prevention and treatment of postpartum posttraumatic stress disorder.Nursing for Women's Health. 2015; 19: 504-525
- Posttraumatic stress disorder in the perinatal period (PPTSD): A concept analysis.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13800
- SPSS statistical application practice: Questionnaire analysis and application statistics.Science Press (SP), Beijing2003
- Statistical analysis of SPSS.Tsinghua University Press (TUP), Beijing2014
- 孕中晚期心理及其对产后应激状况影响研究. [The psychology of late pregnancy and its effect on the postpartum stress status].中国健康心理学杂志. 2012; 20: 841-843
- 北京西城区536名不同职业状态贫困妇女健康状态调查. [The health survey of 536 poor women among different occupations in xicheng district, Beijing].中国妇幼保健. 2011; 26: 87-88
Published online: September 28, 2017
Accepted: September 24, 2017
Received in revised form: July 19, 2017
Received: May 20, 2017
☆This research was conducted in Wuhan Medical Care Center for Women and Children and Hubei Maternal and Child Health Hospital.
© 2017 Published by Elsevier Inc.