- •Changing academic landscape to prepare health professionals for dynamic, high-stress, collaborative healthcare environment.
- •Innovative teaching strategies necessary to bridge the gap between higher education and healthcare.
- •Reflection is essential for student learning in health professions, including nursing and social work education.
This paper describes an innovative teaching strategy and opportunity to foster student resilience and enhance interprofessional collaboration among nursing and social work students, during a Study Abroad Interprofessional Education (IPE) Experience, using a reflective practice framework. This Study Abroad IPE Experience was an opportunity to capitalize on IPE teamwork, communication, and collaboration with the incorporation of reflective journaling as both an evaluative tool for students and faculty and as a mechanism for promoting self-awareness and enhanced mental wellbeing.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Interdisciplinary and interprofessional education: What are the key issues and considerations for the future?.Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing. 2011; 25: 175-179https://doi.org/10.1097/JPN.0b013e318212ee7a
- Effect of reflective practice education on self-reflection, insight, and reflective thinking among experienced nurses.Journal for Nurses in Professional Development. 2013; 29: 111-119https://doi.org/10.1097/nnd.0b013e318291c0cc
- Exploring reflection embedded in practice: A qualitative study.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2013; 69: 905-914https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2012.06082.x
- Implications for policy: The triple aim, quadruple aim, and interprofessional collaboration.Nursing Forum. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12382
- Introducing guided group reflective practice in an Irish palliative care unit.International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2007; 13: 555-560
- Syrian refugees in Greece: Experience with violence, mental health status, and access to information during the journey and while in Greece.BMC Medicine. 2018; 16: 40https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-018-1028-4
- Interprofessional education: Definitions, student competencies, and guidelines for implementation.American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2009; 73: 59https://doi.org/10.5688/aj730459
- What’s in it for us? Making the case for interprofessional field education experiences for social work students.Journal of Teaching in Social Work. 2011; 31: 579-593https://doi.org/10.1080/08841233.2011.615265
- How we think: A restatement of the relation of reflective thinking to the educational process.Heath, Boston, MA1933
- Evaluation of a reflective practice intervention to enhance hospitalized elderly care.Journal for Nurses in Professional Development. 2014; 30: 34-41https://doi.org/10.1097/nnd.0000000000000028
- Building resilience in children and teens: Giving kids roots and wings.3rd. American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL.2015
- Empowering students to bounce back after challenges.([Blog post]. Retrieved from)https://nobaproject.com/blog/2017-11-02-empowering-students-to-bounce-back-after-challengesDate: 2017
- Developing health-promoting practice with families: One pedagogical experience.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2000; 31: 27-34
- Learning through reflection and reflection on learning: Pedagogies in action.in: Sherwood G.D. Horton-Deutsch S. Reflective practice: Transforming education and improving outcomes. Sigma Theta Tau International, Indianapolis, IN2012: 104-134
- Turning vision into action: Reflection to develop professional practice. Reflective practice, second edition: Transforming education and improving outcomes.Sigma Theta Tau International, Indianapolis, IN2017: 8
- Core competencies for interprofessional collaborative practice: 2016 update.Interprofessional Education Collaborative, Washington, DC2016 (Retrieved from)https://nebula.wsimg.com/2f68a39520b03336b41038c370497473?AccessKeyId=DC06780E69ED19E2B3A5&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
- Personal resilience as a strategy for surviving and thriving in the face of workplace adversity: A literature review.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2007; 60: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04412.x
- Using cooperative inquiry and clinical supervision to improve practice.British Journal of Community Nursing. 2007; 12: 63-69
- Framing learning through reflection within Carper’s fundamental ways of knowing in nursing.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1995; 22: 226-234https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1995.22020226.x
- Social work and interprofessional education in health care: A call for continued leadership.Journal of Social Work Education. 2016; : 52https://doi.org/10.1080/10437797.2016.1112629
- Critical reflective inquiry for knowledge development in nursing practice.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1999; 29: 1205-1212
- Self-reflection in the course evaluation.Procedia: Social and Behaivoral Sciences. 2014; 114: 119-123
- Promoting cognitive and metacognitive reflective reasoning skills in nursing practice: Self regulated learning theory.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2004; 45: 381-391https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02921.x
- Resilience of primary healthcare professionals working in challenging environments: A focus group study.British Journal of General Practice. 2016; 66https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp16X685285
- Reflection as an educational strategy in nursing professional development: An integrative review.Journal for Nurses in Professional Development. 2015; 31: 62-72https://doi.org/10.1097/NND.0000000000000151
- Guide for reflection: Using the clinical judgment model.Journal of Nursing Education. 2007; 46: 513-516
- Evaluation of a reflective practice intervention to enhance family care.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005; 49: 494-501
- Reflections on intuition.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2000; 9: 137-145https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2000.00326.x
- Nursing students’ understanding and enactment of resilience: A grounded theory study..Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2015; 71: 2622-2633https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12730
- The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action.Basic Books, New York, NY1983
- Thinking like a nurse: A research-based model of clinical judgment in nursing.Journal of Nursing Education. 2006; 45: 204-211
- Social work education crossing the borders: A field education programme for international internship.Social Work Education. 2017; 36: 609-622
- Impact of short term study abroad experiences on transformative learning: A comparison of programs at 6 weeks.Journal of Transformative Education. 2017; 15: 103-121
- Framework for action on interprofessional education & collaborative practice.World Health Organization, Geneva2010 (Retrieved from)
- Resilience as a strategy for struggling against challenges related to the nursing profession.Chinese Nursing Research. 2017; 4: 9-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnre.2017.0
Published online: September 28, 2020
Accepted: September 23, 2020
Received in revised form: September 17, 2020
Received: February 28, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.