- •Pooled prevalence of unmet need for mental health care among adolescents was 54.0%.
- •Prevalence of unmet need for mental health care among adolescents with any mental disorder was 58.1%.
- •Unmet needs for mental health problems are common among adolescents
- •Unmet needs for mental health problems are major concerns in terms of public health.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Unmet need for community-based mental health and substance use treatment among rural adolescents.Community Mental Health Journal. 2005; 41: 35-49
- Unmet mental health service needs among norwegian children and adolescents.Child and Adolescent Mental Health. 2007; 12: 115-120https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-3588.2006.00423.x
- Factors associated with mental health service need and utilization among unaccompanied refugee adolescents.Administration and Policy in Mental Health. 2006; 33: 342-355https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-006-0046-2
- Adolescence and mental health.The Lancet. 2019; 393: 2030-2031https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)31013-X
- Adolescent-onset psychosis: Prevalence, needs and service provision.The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2007; 190: 18-26https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.190.1.18
- Profiles of systems involvement in a sample of high-risk urban adolescents with unmet treatment needs.Children and Youth Services Review. 2011; 33: 2018-2026https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2011.05.031
- Correlates of unmet need for mental health services by children and adolescents.Psychological Medicine. 1997; 27: 1145-1154
- Outcome of a knowledge contact-based anti-stigma Programme in adolescents and adults in the Chinese population.East Asian Archives of Psychiatry. 2016; 26: 129-136
- Unmet health care need in US adolescents and adult health outcomes.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 513-520https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-0237
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 6.1.0.(Retrieved from)
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.Bmj. 2003; 327: 557-560https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.557
- Need for mental health care in adolescents and its determinants: The TRAILS study.European Journal of Public Health. 2013; 23: 236-241https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/cks087
- Critical appraisal tools for use in JBI systematic reviews checklist for prevalence studies.2017 ([cited 2018 Apr 21]. Available from: https://joannabriggs.org/sites/default/files/2019-05/JBI_Critical_Appraisal-Checklist_for_Prevalence_Studies2017_0.pdf)
- Unmet need for mental health care among US children: Variation by ethnicity and insurance status.American Journal of Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 1548-1555
- Service use for mental disorders and unmet need: Results from the Israel survey on mental health among adolescents.Psychiatric Services. 2010; 61: 241-249https://doi.org/10.1176/ps.2010.61.3.241
- Do young adults have unmet healthcare needs?.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2011; 49: 490-497
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement.PLoS Medicine. 2009; 6: e1000097https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000097
- Unmet needs for substance abuse and mental health services among Northern Plains American Indian adolescents.Psychiatric Services. 2000; 51: 1045-1047https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.51.8.1045
- Trends in mental health care among children and adolescents.New England Journal of Medicine. 2015; 372: 2029-2038https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1413512
- Annual research review: A meta-analysis of the worldwide prevalence of mental disorders in children and adolescents.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2015; 56: 345-365https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.12381
- Changes in unmet health care needs.Health Reports. 2002; 13: 15-21
- Formal help-seeking behavior of adolescents identifying themselves as having mental health problems.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 1994; 33: 718-728https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199406000-00013
- Perceived need and barriers to adolescent mental health care: Agreement between adolescents and their parents.in: Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2019: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1017/s2045796019000568
- Unmet need for professional mental health care among adolescents with high psychological distress.Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2018; 52: 59-67https://doi.org/10.1177/0004867417707818
- Ethnic and gender disparities in needed adolescent mental health care.Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2011; 22: 101-110
- Urgent mental health issues in adolescents.The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health. 2019; 3: 218-219https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-4642(19)30069-0
- Unmet health and mental health need among adolescents: The roles of sexual minority status and child-parent connectedness.The American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 2012; 82: 473-481https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.2012.01182.x
World Health Organization n.d.-a. Adolescent mental health. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-mental-health.
World Health Organization n.d.-b. Recognizing adolescence. Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/adolescent/second-decade/section2/page1/recognizing-adolescence.html.
- Need for mental health services and service use among high school students in China.Psychiatric Services. 2012; 63: 1026-1031https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201200090
- Mental health literacy programs for school teachers: A systematic review and narrative synthesis.Early Intervention in Psychiatry. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1111/eip.12793
- Factors associated with adolescent mental health service need and utilization.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2003; 42: 692-700https://doi.org/10.1097/01.chi.0000046862.56865.b7