- •Chronic childhood traumas experienced during childhood and the early teenage years are an important risk factor in the emergence of university cyberbullying and cyber victimisation behaviours among students.
- •Students at risk of cyberbullying and cyber victimization should be identified, and awareness and coping programs should be planned.
- •Health professionals should create preventive/protective programs that will enable the early evaluation of the parent-child relationship, the early detection of relationship problems, and the provision of counseling and support services.
The aim of this study is to investigate the relationship of childhood trauma with cyberbullying and cyber victimization levels among health sciences and medical faculty students.
This study was conducted with 350 students studying at the health sciences and medical faculty of a university in Istanbul. The data were collected using an information form, the Childhood Trauma Questionnaire, the Cyber Bullying Scale, and the Cyber Victimization Scale.
A significant positive correlation was found between the childhood trauma and cyberbullying and cyber victimization levels of the students. A significant positive correlation was also found between cyber victimization and cyberbullying levels.
Students at risk of cyber bullying and cyber victimization should be identified, and awareness and coping programs should be planned.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cyberbullying, it's tyeps and related factors: An evaluation through the existing studies.Online Academic Journal of Information Technology. 2017; 8: 1-19https://doi.org/10.5824/1309-1581.2017.5.001.x
- The investigation of predictors of cyberbullying and cyber victimization in university students.Forensic Research & Criminology International Journal. 2017; 4: 146-149
- Pattern and correlates of cyberbullying victimization among Egyptian university students in Beni-Suef,Egypt.Journal of the Egyptian Public Health Association. 2017; 92: 107-115
- Initial psychometric findings of Cyber Bullying Scale.Journal of Hasan Ali Yücel Faculty of Education. 2012; 9 (Retrieved from https://hayefjournal.org/en/siber-zorbalik-olceginin-ilk-psikometrik-bulgulari-16517): 101-114
- Investigation of the relationship between cyberbullying, cybervictimization, alexithymia and anger expression styles among adolescents.Computers in Human Behavior. 2016; 55: 278-285https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.09.015
- Initial psychometric findings of Cyber Victimization Scale.Mediterranean Journal of Educational Research. 2012; 11 (Retrieved from https://toad.halileksi.net/sites/default/files/pdf/siber-magduriyet-olcegi-toad.pdf): 1-6
- Cyberbullying: The discriminant factors among cyberbullies, cybervictims, and cyberbully-victims in a Czech adolescent sample.Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 2015; 30: 3192-3216https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260514555006
- Cyberbullying: An emerging threat to the “always on” generation.(Retrieved from)http://www.cyberbullying.caDate: 2006
- Development and validation of a brief screening version of the Childhood Trauma Questionnaire.Child Abuse & Neglect. 2003; 27: 169-190https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(02)00541-0
- Cyberbullying, self-esteem, empathy and loneliness.Computers in Human Behavior. 2015; 48: 255-260https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.01.073
- Social media addiction, cyberbullying and cyber victimization of university students.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2021; 35: 499-503https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2021.07.04
- Parental attidutes as a predictor of cyberbullying among primary school children.World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Computer and Systems Engineering. 2010; 4: 1667-1671
- Systematic review of empirical studies on cyberbullying in adults: What we know and what we should investigate.Aggression and Violent Behavior. 2017; 38: 113-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2017.12.003
- Effect of childhood adversity experiences, psychological distress, and resilience on depressive symptoms among Indonesian university students.International Journal of Adolescence and Youth. 2018; 24: 177-184https://doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2018.1485584
- Assessing risk factors and impact of cyberbullying victimization among university students in Myanmar: A crosssectional study.PLoS ONE. 2020; 15e0227051https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0227051
- Cyber-bullying: An investigation of the psychological profile of university student participants.Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology. 2014; 35: 204-214https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2014.04.001
- Cyberbullying and subjective health: A large-scale study of students in Stockholm, Sweden.Children and Youth Services Review. 2013; 35: 112-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2012.10.020
- Prevalence of cyberbullying and predictors of cyberbullying perpetration among Korean adolescents.Computers in Human Behavior. 2017; 68: 352-358https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.11.047
- Being a cybervictim and a cyberbully—The duality of cyberbullying: A meta-analysis.Computers in Human Behavior. 2020; 106444https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2020.106444
- Relationship between suicidal thinking, anxiety, depression and stress in university students who are victims of cyberbullying.Psychiatry Research. 2020; 286112856https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2020.112856
- General and ıct self efficacy in different participants roles in cyberbullying/victimization among Pakistani university students.Frontiers Psychology. 2019; 10: 1098https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01098
- Preventing and coping strategies for cyber bullying and cyber victimization.World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering. 2016; 10: 1771-1774https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1125759
- Investigation of effect of human values-oriented psycho-training program on cyber bullying.Atatürk Unıversıty Journal of Socıal Scıences Instıtute. 2015; 19 (Retrieved from https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/32509): 11-22
- Psychological security, psychological loneliness, and age as the predictors of cyber-bullying among university students.Community Mental Health Journal. 2020; 56: 393-403https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-019-00455-z
- Validity and reliability of the Turkish version of childhood trauma questionnaire.Turkiye Klinikleri Journal Medical Science. 2012; 32: 1054-1063https://doi.org/10.5336/medsci.2011-26947
- Feeling cybervictims' pain—The effect of empathy training on cyberbullying.Aggressive Behavior. 2016; 42: 147-156https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.21613
- Internet addiction, cyberbullying, and victimization relationship in adolescents.Journal of Addictions Nursing. 2019; 30: 201-210https://doi.org/10.1097/JAN.0000000000000296
- The link between childhood psychological maltreatment and cyberbullying perpetration attitudes among undergraduates: Testing the risk and protective factors.PLoS ONE. 2020; 15e0236792https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0236792
- Examination of cyber bullying and victimization among adolescents.Online Journal of Technology Addıction & Cyberbullying. 2018; 5 (Retrieved from https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/612700): 21-45
- The effects of childhood trauma experiences and attachment styles on cyberbullying and victimization among university students.Cyprus Turkish Journal of Psychiatry & Psychology. 2021; 3: 241-249
- Information technologies usage survey.(Retrieved from)https://data.tuik.gov.tr/Bulten/Index?p=Survey-on-Information-and-Communication-Technology-(ICT)-Usage-in-Households-and-by-Individuals-2021-37437Date: 2021
- Effects of childhood adversity and resilience on Taiwanese youth health behaviours.Pediatrics and Neonatology. 2019; 60: 368-376https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedneo.2018.08.004
- Cyberbullying in higher education: A literature review.Computers in Human Behavior. 2017; 69: 268-274https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.12.038
- Digital 2021: The latest insights into the ‘State of digital’.(Retrieved from)https://wearesocial.com/uk/blog/2021/01/digital-2021-the-latest-insights-into-the-state-of-digital/Date: 2021
- Investigating the relationship between cyberbullying and perceived family support in middle-school students in relation to gender, frequency of internet use, and grade.Addicta: The Turkish Journal on Addictions. 2018; 5: 249-284
- A Review of cyberbullying related factors and possible solutions suggested.Online Journal of Technology Addiction and Cyberbullying. 2017; 4 (Retrieved from): 13-49
- Frequency of childhood abuse in university students.Dicle Medical Journal. 2012; 39: 536-541https://doi.org/10.5798/diclemedj.0921.2012.04.0196
Published online: June 23, 2022
Accepted: June 11, 2022
Received in revised form: May 21, 2022
Received: December 12, 2021
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.