- •Mindfulness is associated with engagement in preventive health behaviors.
- •COVID-19 risk perception is the mediating variable between mindfulness and developing preventive health behavior.
- •Developing preventive health behaviors against COVID-19 caused an increased perception of risk.
Design and measures
- Ministry T.S.
Design and methods
Population and sampling
- •To be currently studying on a bachelor's degree program in nursing
- •To be willing to fill out the questionnaire
- •To have filled out the questionnaire incompletely or to have refused to fill it out
H1: Level of mindfulness affects COVID-19 risk perception.
H2: COVID-19 risk perception affects the tendency to develop preventive health behavior.
H3: There is a correlation between level of mindfulness and developing preventive health behavior.
H4: COVID-19 risk perception is the mediating variable considering the correlation between mindfulness and developing preventive health behavior.
Personal Information Form (PIF)
COVID-19 Perceived Risk Scale (CPRS)
|2. COVID-19 risk perception||27.1||5.641||−0.600||0.237||−0.165||1||0.79|
Mindful Attention Awareness Scale (MAAS)
Preventive Health Behaviors Questionnaire (PHBQ)
|Age (Mean (SD)||20.92 (1.76)|
|Presence of chronic diseases|
|Presence of chronic disease in individuals living together|
|Presence of individuals over the age of 65 among individuals living together|
|Previously diagnosed with COVID-19|
|2020 Spring Semester face-to-face course|
|2020 Spring Term clinical practice|
|2020 Fall Semester face-to-face course|
|2020 Fall Term clinical practice|
|2021 Spring Semester face-to-face course|
|2021 Spring Term clinical practice|
|Prediction variables||Result variables|
|M (Covid-19 risk perception)||Y (preventive health behavior)|
|M (COVID-19 risk perception)||–||–||–||b||0.295*||0.086|
|R2 = 0.027||R2 = 0.058|
|F(1;421) = 11.817; P < .01||F(2;420) = 15.430; P < .001|
Implications for psychiatric nursing practice
CRediT authorship contribution statement
- •Canan Karadas and Yalcin Kanbay conceived and designed the study.
- •Ayse Ay and Cansu Akdag Topal collected the data and worked on the database.
- •Sevil Cinar Ozbay and Yalcin Kanbay analyzed, interpreted the data and wrote the article.
- •Canan Karadas, Ayse Ay, Cansu Akdag Topal, Sevil Cinar Ozbay supervised the whole process and reviewed the article, with important intellectual contributions.
- •The final version of the article was approved by the entire team.
Declaration of competing interest
- HIV sexual risk behaviors and perception of risk among college students: Implications for planning interventions,Midwest.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 1-13
- Perception towards infection prevention practices and occupational exposure risk to corona virus disease-19 (COVID-19) among nursing students in a private healthcare setting in Malaysia: A cross-sectional survey.Nursing & Primary Care. 2020; 4: 1-8
- Meaningful living, resilience, affective balance, and psychological health problems among Turkish young adults during coronavirus pandemic.Current Psychology. 2021; : 1-12
- Mindfulness: Here and now mindfulness.Psikonet Pressure, İstanbul2018
- The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1986; 51: 1173-1182
- Introduction to structural equation modeling amos applications: Ezgi Bookstore.2010 (Pressure. İstanbul)
- The benefits of being present: Mindfulness and its role in psychological well-being.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2003; 84: 822-848
- SARS risk perception, knowledge, precautions, and information sources, the Netherlands.Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2004; 10: 1486-1489
- WHO director-general’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19.World Health Organization, 2020
- Mindfulness, age and gender as protective factors against psychological distress during COVID-19 pandemic.Frontiers in Psychology. 2020; 11: 1900
- Risk perception of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and its related factors among college students in China during quarantine.PloS One. 2020; 15e0237626
- Relationship between heart disease and liver disease: A two-way street.Cells. 2020; 9: 567-585
- Brief mindfulness practices for healthcare providers–A systematic literature review.The American Journal of Medicine. 2017; 130: 1219.e1-1219.e17
- Risk perception and precautionary health behavior toward COVID-19 among health professionals working in selected public university hospitals in Ethiopia.Plos One. 2020; 15e0241101
- Seçkin Publishing, Ankara2014: 271 Research methods in social sciences.
- Mindfulness and engagement in COVID-19 preventive behavior.Preventive Medicine Reports. 2020; 20101246
- Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach.Guilford publications, 2017
- COVID-19 knowledge, risk perception, and precautionary behavior among Nigerians: A moderated mediation approach.Frontiers in Psychology. 2020; 11: 3292
- Principles and practice of structural equation modeling.Guilford publications, 2015
- Factors in risk perception.Risk Analysis. 2000; 20: 1-11
- Resilience, stress, and psychological well-being in nursing students: A systematic review.Nurse Education Today. 2020; 90104440
- Mindfulness in medicine.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1350-1352
- Confidence limits for the indirect effect: Distribution of the product and resampling methods.Multivariate Behavioral Research. 2004; 39: 99-128
- Turkey COVID-19 patient chart.COVID-19 Information Platform, 2022https://covid19.health.gov.en/Date accessed: May 18, 2022
- Mental health and emotional impact of COVID-19: Applying health belief model for medical staff to general public of Pakistan.Brain, Behavior, and Immunity. 2020; 87: 28-29
- Psychological reactions to COVID-19: Survey data assessing perceived susceptibility, distress, mindfulness, and preventive health behaviors.Data in Brief. 2021; 34106687
- A study of adapting the mindfulness scale into Turkish.Education and Science. 2011; 36: 225-235
- Addressing moderated mediation hypotheses: Theory, methods, and prescriptions.Multivariate Behavioral Research. 2007; 42: 185-227
- Risk perception, risk communication and health behavior change: Health psychology at the University of Konstanz.Zeitschrift Für Gesundheitspsychologie. 2008; 16: 150-153
- Fear of COVID-19, mindfulness, humor, and hopelessness: A multiple mediation analysis.International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction. 2020; : 1-14
- Mindfulness, self-compassion, self-efficacy, and gender as predictors of depression, anxiety, stress, and well-being.Mindfulness. 2015; 6: 217-226
- Clinical placement experience of nursing students during the COVID-19 pandemic: A cross-sectional study.Nurse Education Today. 2021; 99104746
- Statement on the second meeting of the International Health Regulations.in: Emergency Committee regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). 2005 (accessed Feb 6, 2020)
- Factor analysis of the COVID-19 perceived risk scale: A preliminary study.Death Studies. 2020; 46: 1065-1072
- Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: Myths and truths about mediation analysis.Journal of Consumer Research. 2010; 37: 197-206
- Risk perception, knowledge, information sources and emotional states among COVID-19 patients in Wuhan,China.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 13-21