- •The literature hosts research exploring disaster anxiety among people.
- •The research was carried out after a disaster and assessed psychiatric disorders.
- •Identifying disaster anxiety any time is deemed essential for disaster awareness.
- •The Disaster Anxiety Scale is a valid and reliable instrument for the sample group.
The present methodological study aimed to develop the Disaster Anxiety Scale and reveal its psychometric properties. It was carried out with 514 voluntary participants between April 15 and July 5, 2021. The research data were collected using a demographic information form, the Coronavirus Anxiety Scale (CAS), and the Disaster Anxiety Scale (DAS). The findings revealed that the DAS consists of a total of six items clustered under a single factor explaining 86.37 % of the total variance. For reliability concerns reliability, the researcher calculated the Cronbach's α value to be 0.96 for the DAS total score. There was a significant, moderate, and positive correlation (p < 0.001; r = 0.44) between the CAS and the DAS. Overall, it was found that the 6-item DAS is a valid and reliable instrument for the sample group studied.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Uygulamalı istatistik ve geçerlik güvenirlik (İkinci Baskı).Detay Yayıncılık, Ankara2012 (in Turkish)
- Natural disaster in Turkey and natural disaster profile of Bursa.International Journal of Humanities Social Sciences and Education. 2016; 3: 1-10https://doi.org/10.20431/2349-0381.0304001
- Geçerlilik ve güvenirlik çalışmalarında doğrulayıcı faktör analizinin kullanımı.Anadolu Hemşirelik ve Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi. 2014; 17 (in Turkish): 196-205
- Pegem Akademi, Ankara2014: 177-246 (in Turkish) Sosyal bilimler için çok değişkenli istatistik SPSS ve Lisrel uygulamaları (Üçüncü baskı).
- Multicollinearity and regression analysis.Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2017; 949012009
- EM-DAT disasters of the week.https://www.emdat.be/Date: 2021, July 9
- Psikolojide ölçme ve ölçek geliştirme – I (Üçüncü Baskı).Pegem Akademi Yayıncılık, Ankara2016 (in Turkish)
- Measuring anxiety related to COVID-19: A turkish validation study of the coronavirus anxiety scale.Death Studies. 2020; 3: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2020.1774969
- Beginning of the pandemic: Covid-19-elicited anxiety as a predictor of working memory performance.Frontiers in Psychology. 2020; 26576466https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.576466
- Growing pains: The impact of disaster-related and daily stressors on the psychological and psychosocial fuctioning of youth in Sri Lanka.Child Development. 2010; 81: 1192-1210https://www.researchgate.net/publication/45269179_Growing_Pains_The_Impact_of_Disaster-Related_and_Daily_Stressors_on_the_Psychological_and_Psychosocial_Functioning_of_Youth_in_Sri_Lanka
- Psychological responses and resilience of people and communities impacted by the Deepwater horizon oil spill.Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association. 2013; 124: 191-201
- Multivariate data analysis.7nd ed. Pearson Education Limited, 2014 (in Turkish)
- Integrating mental health and disaster preparedness in intervention: A randomized controlled trial with earthquake and flood-affected communities in Haiti.Psychological Medicine. 2020; 50: 342-352https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291719000163
- Kaygı Düşünceleri envanteri Türkçe formunun geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması.Bilişsel Davranışçı Psikoterapi ve Araştırmalar Dergisi. 2020; 9 (in Turkish): 196-201https://doi.org/10.5455/JCBPR.53752
- Doğal afetler sonrası yaşanan travmalar ve örnek bir psikoeğitim programı.Afet ve Risk Dergisi. 2018; 1 (in Turkish): 39-52
- Coronavirus anxiety scale: A brief mental health screener for COVID-19 related anxiety.Death Studies. 2020; 44: 393-401https://doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2020.1748481
- A new estimator for the multicollinear poisson regression model: Simulation and application.Scientific Reports. 2021; 11: 3732
- Disaster and its impact on mental health: A narrative review.Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2019; 8: 3090-3095https://doi.org/10.4103/2Fjfmpc.jfmpc_893_19
- An integrated model of psychological preparedness for threat and impacts of climate change disasters. Disaster management and human health risk III.WIT Transactions on The Built Environment. 2013; 133: 121-132https://doi.org/10.2495/DMAN130121
- Effects of anxiety, disaster education, and resources on disaster preparedness behavior.Journal of Applied Social Psychology. 2012; 42: 1069-1087https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2011.00853.x
- Natural disasters in Turkey: Social and economic perspective.International Journal of Disaster Risk Management. 2019; 1: 51-61https://doi.org/10.18485/ijdrm.2019.1.1.3
- Storms, fires, and bombs: Analyzing the impact of warning message and receiver characteristics on risk perception in different hazards.Risk Analysis. 2021; 41: 1630-1642https://doi.org/10.1111/risa.13636
- Well-being and post-traumatic stress disorder due to natural and man-made disasters on adults.Pakistan Journal of Medical Research. 2015; 54: 25-28https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290974149_Well-being_and_post-traumatic_stress_disorder_due_to_natural_and_man-made_disasters_on_adults
- Trait and state anxiety are mapped diferently in the human brain.Scientific Reports. 2020; 10: 11112https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-68008-z
- Displacement and mental health after natural disasters.Lancet Planet Health. 2017; 1E314https://doi.org/10.1016/S2542-5196(17)30138-9
- SPSS ve Lisrel ile pratik veri analizi (İkinci Baskı).Anı Yayıncılık, Ankara2015 (in Turkish)
- Diagnosing multicollinearity of logistic regression model.Asian Journal of Probability and Statistics. 2019; 5: 51693https://doi.org/10.9734/AJPAS/2019/v5i230132
- (2021, July 9). Living with anxiety.
- Sendai framework for disaster risk reduction 2015 – 2030.https://www.preventionweb.net/files/43291_sendaiframeworkfordrren.pdfDate: 2021, July 9
- Validation of the italian version of the screening questionnaire for disaster mental health (SQD) in a post-earthquake urban environment.Annali dell'Istituto Superiore di Sanità. 2013; 49: 79-85https://doi.org/10.4415/ANN_13_01_13
- Anxiety: A concept analysis.Frontiers of Nursing. 2020; 7: 9-12https://doi.org/10.2478/FON-2020-0008
Published online: August 08, 2022
Accepted: July 31, 2022
Received in revised form: July 19, 2022
Received: February 8, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.