- •The increase in deinstitutionalization and community-based mental health services has increased the roles and responsibilities of primary caregiver of schizophrenia.
- •The unmet needs and challenges of primary caregiver could guide in intervention development and the prioritization of resources to address the deficiency.
- •Meeting the needs and enhancing the coping strategies of the primary caregivers has the potential to alleviate the suffering of the patient and the caregiver.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Economic burden of caregiving for persons with severe mental illness in sub-Saharan Africa: A systematic review.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13https://doi.org/10.1371/JOURNAL.PONE.0199830
- Mastering the art of collaboration: Supporting family caregivers of mental health patients by service providers in Iran.Administration and Policy in Mental Health. 2019; 46: 54-61https://doi.org/10.1007/S10488-018-0893-7
- Qualitative study of resilience of family caregivers for patients with schizophrenia in Japan.Mental Health in Family Medicine. 2016; 12: 307-312
- Spousal caregiver burden and its relation with disability in schizophrenia.Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine. 2018; 40: 22https://doi.org/10.4103/IJPSYM.IJPSYM_204_17
- The experiences of turkish families caring for individuals with schizophrenia: A qualitative inquiry.The International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2018; 64: 497-505https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764018779090
- Feelings, thoughts and experiences of caregivers of patients with schizophrenia.International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2020; 66: 452-459https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764020916211
- Challenge of parents caring for children or adolescents with early-stage schizophrenia in China: A qualitative study.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2020; 56: 777-784https://doi.org/10.1111/PPC.12492
- Having a sibling with schizophrenia: A phenomenological study.Research and Theory for Nursing Practice. 2006; 20: 247-264https://doi.org/10.1891/RTNP.20.3.247
- Caregiver's quality of life and its positive impact on symptomatology and quality of life of patients with schizophrenia.Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 2017; 15: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1186/S12955-017-0652-6/FIGURES/2
- The chronic sorrow experiences of caregivers of clients with schizophrenia in Taiwan: A phenomenological study.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2018; 54: 281-286https://doi.org/10.1111/PPC.12235
Chapter 21: Qualitative evidence | Cochrane Training, n.d.Chapter 21: Qualitative evidence | Cochrane Training. (n.d.). Retrieved May 19, 2021, from https://training.cochrane.org/handbook/current/chapter-21
- The burden, support and needs of primary family caregivers of people experiencing schizophrenia in Beijing communities: A qualitative study.BMC Psychiatry. 2019; 19: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-019-2052-4
- Sitting with others: Mental health self-help groups in northern Ghana.International Journal of Mental Health Systems. 2012; 6: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-4458-6-1/TABLES/2
- The effectiveness of mental health rehabilitation services: A systematic review and narrative synthesis.Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2021; 11https://doi.org/10.3389/FPSYT.2020.607933/FULL
- 29. 2009: 37-50https://doi.org/10.1080/01612840701748714 (1) Tactful Monitoring: How Thai Caregivers Manage Their Relative With Schizophrenia at Home.
- Empathy and perceived burden in caregivers of patients with schizophrenia spectrum disorders.BMC Health Services Research. 2021; 21: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1186/S12913-021-06258-X/TABLES/5
- Medication adherence in patients with schizophrenia: A qualitative study of the patient process in motivational interviewing.BMC Psychiatry. 2018; 18: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1186/S12888-018-1724-9/TABLES/8
- Barriers to family resilience in caregivers of people who have schizophrenia.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2021; 53: 393https://doi.org/10.1111/JNU.12651
- Family members’ perspective of family Resilience’s risk factors in taking care of schizophrenia patients.International Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2018; 5: 255-261https://doi.org/10.1016/J.IJNSS.2018.06.002
- “Sometimes It’s difficult to have a Normal Life”: Results from a qualitative study exploring caregiver burden in schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Research and Treatment. 2014; 2014: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/368215
- Burden of care on caregivers of schizophrenia patients: A correlation to personality and coping.Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research : JCDR. 2015; 9: VC01https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2015/11342.5654
- The experiences of providing caregiving for patients with schizophrenia in the Ghanaian context.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2018; 32: 815-822https://doi.org/10.1016/J.APNU.2018.06.005
- Perceived barriers and facilitators to mental health help-seeking in young people: A systematic review.BMC Psychiatry. 2010; 10: 113https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-10-113
- Mental health care in Eastern Europe and Central Asia: An analysis of needs and a call for greater investment.The Lancet Regional Health - Europe. 2021; 10100182https://doi.org/10.1016/J.LANEPE.2021.100182
- Factors of caregiver burden and family functioning among taiwanese family caregivers living with schizophrenia.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2015; 24: 1546-1556https://doi.org/10.1111/JOCN.12745
- The experiences of carers in taiwanese culture who have long-term schizophrenia in their families: A phenomenological study.Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2009; 16: 874-883https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1365-2850.2009.01468.X
- The coping experiences of carers who live with someone who has schizophrenia.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2008; 17: 817-826https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1365-2702.2007.02130.X
- Perspectives and experiences of primary caregivers of individuals with schizophrenia in Thailand.Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2018; 39: 858-864https://doi.org/10.1080/01612840.2018.1488312
- A qualitative study on the needs of caregivers of inpatients with schizophrenia in India.The International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2011; 57: 180-194https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764009347334
- The experiences of parents providing support to adult children with schizophrenia.Int. J. Ment. Heal. Addict. 2016; 14: 385-399https://doi.org/10.1007/S11469-016-9643-9
- Experiences of caregivers of family member with schizophrenia in China: A qualitative study.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2020; 56: 201-212https://doi.org/10.1111/PPC.12412
- Worked examples of alternative methods for the synthesis of qualitative and quantitative research in systematic reviews.BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2007; 7: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-7-4
- Motivational interviewing in medical care settings: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Patient Education and Counseling. 2013; 93: 157-168https://doi.org/10.1016/J.PEC.2013.07.012
- Parents’ experiences of caring responsibility for their adult child with schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Research and Treatment. 2016; 2016https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/1958198
- Family caregivers' monitoring of medication usage: A qualitative study of Mexican-origin families with serious mental illness.Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry. 2011; 35: 63-82https://doi.org/10.1007/S11013-010-9198-3
- Parents' experience of living with and caring for an adult son or daughter with schizophrenia at home in Ireland: A qualitative study.Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2014; 21: 145-153https://doi.org/10.1111/JPM.12065
- Experiences of caregivers of individuals suffering from schizophrenia in rural areas of the Mpumalanga Province of South Africa.
- Redefining parental identity: Caregiving and schizophrenia.Qualitative Health Research. 2003; 13: 100-113https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732302239413
- Burden for parents of patients with Schizophrenia—A nationwide comparative study of parents of offspring with rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and healthy controls.Schizophrenia Bulletin. 2019; 45: 794-803https://doi.org/10.1093/SCHBUL/SBY130
- Subjective experiences of husbands of spouses with schizophrenia: An analysis of the husbands' descriptions of their experiences.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2011; 25: 366-375https://doi.org/10.1016/J.APNU.2011.03.001
- Female families' experiences of caring for persons with schizophrenia.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2013; 27: 72-77https://doi.org/10.1016/J.APNU.2012.10.007
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement.Revista Espanola de Nutricion Humana y Dietetica. 2016; 20: 148-160https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-4053-4-1/TABLES/4
- Caring for a relative with schizophrenia: Understandings.Challenges and the Interface with Mental Health Professionals. 2014; 21: 239-244https://doi.org/10.1080/14330237.2011.10820452
- Review of Australian initiatives to reduce stigma towards people with complex mental illness: What exists and what works?.International Journal of Mental Health Systems. 2021; 15: 1-51https://doi.org/10.1186/S13033-020-00423-1/TABLES/8
- Help-seeking behaviors among caregivers of schizophrenia and other psychotic patients: A hospital-based study in two geographically and culturally distinct Indian cities.Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine. 2012; 34: 338https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7176.108214
- The effectiveness of a group psycho-educational program on family caregiver burden of patients with mental disorders.BMC Research Notes. 2012; 5: 399https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-399
- 22. 2014: 259-262https://doi.org/10.1080/14330237.2012.10820527 (2) Mothering Children With Schizophrenia in a Village Setting: A Multiple Case Study.
- Community mental health care in the Asia-Pacific region: Using current best-practice models to inform future policy.World Psychiatry. 2009; 8: 49https://doi.org/10.1002/J.2051-5545.2009.TB00211.X
- An elderly couple and their long life raising four schizophrenic children.Revista Da Escola de Enfermagem Da USP. 2012; 46: 618-625https://doi.org/10.1590/S0080-62342012000300013
- Chronic sorrow: Lived experiences of caregivers of patients diagnosed with schizophrenia in Butabika Mental Hospital, Kampala, Uganda.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2015; 29: 43-48https://doi.org/10.1016/J.APNU.2014.09.007
- Psychological distress, perceived stigma, and coping among caregivers of patients with schizophrenia.Psychology Research and Behavior Management. 2016; 9: 211https://doi.org/10.2147/PRBM.S112129
- “We didn't have a clue”: Family caregivers' experiences of the communication of a diagnosis of schizophrenia.Int. J. Soc.Psychiatry. 2015; 61: 10-16https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764014535751
- Rayyan-a web and mobile app for systematic reviews.Systematic Reviews. 2016; 5: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1186/S13643-016-0384-4/FIGURES/6
- Korean sibling caregivers of individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia.Asian/Pacific Island Nurs. J. 2017; 2: 97https://doi.org/10.9741/23736658.1066
- Experiences of chinese migrants caring for family members with schizophrenia in Australia.Social Work in Health Care. 2013; 52: 144-165https://doi.org/10.1080/00981389.2012.737907
- Struggling to Restore Normalcy: Thai Parents’ Experiences in Being Caregivers of Children With Early Schizophrenia.2016 (Undefined)
- Felt needs of primary caregivers of individuals with schizophrenia: A study from South India.Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2017; 29: 1-2https://doi.org/10.1016/J.AJP.2017.04.007
- Coping strategies of family caregivers of patients with schizophrenia in Iran: A cross-sectional survey.International Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2019; 6: 148https://doi.org/10.1016/J.IJNSS.2019.03.006
- Coping with caregiving stress among caregivers of patients with schizophrenia.Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2020; 54https://doi.org/10.1016/J.AJP.2020.102219
- At wits” end!": Perspectives of hispanic caregivers of a family member with schizophrenia.Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2013; 34: 451-458https://doi.org/10.3109/01612840.2012.741659
- Caring for the seriously mentally ill in Thailand: Buddhist family caregiving.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2005; 19: 44-57https://doi.org/10.1016/J.APNU.2005.02.004
- Effect of a psycho-educational intervention for family members on caregiver burdens and psychiatric symptoms in patients with schizophrenia in Shiraz, Iran.BMC Psychiatry. 2012; 12: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-12-48/TABLES/2
- Positive and negative impacts of schizophrenia on family caregivers: A systematic review and qualitative meta-summary.Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2019; 54: 277-290https://doi.org/10.1007/S00127-018-1617-8
- Dementia caregivers' coping strategies and their relationship to health and well-being: The Cache County study.Aging & Mental Health. 2015; 19: 390https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2014.939610
- 5. 2013: 2https://doi.org/10.5958/j.0974-9357.5.2.098 Family Caregiver Burden in Schizophrenia: A Qualitative Study.
- Strategies to reduce the stigma toward people with mental disorders in Iran: Stakeholders' perspectives.BMC Psychiatry. 2017; 17: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1186/S12888-016-1169-Y/TABLES/3
- Caregiving burden in family caregivers of patients with schizophrenia: A qualitative study.Journal of Education and Health Promotion. 2020; 9https://doi.org/10.4103/JEHP.JEHP_356_19
- Perceived causes of severe mental disturbance and preferred interventions by the borana semi-nomadic population in southern Ethiopia: A qualitative study.BMC Psychiatry. 2012; 12: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-12-79/PEER-REVIEW
- Views of people with schizophrenia and their caregivers towards the needs for psychiatric rehabilitation in urban and rural areas of mainland China.Psychiatry Research. 2017; 258: 72-77https://doi.org/10.1016/J.PSYCHRES.2017.09.052
- Appraising the quality of qualitative research.Midwifery. 2006; 22: 108-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2005.05.004
- Epidemiology of severe mental illness in Hunan province in Central China during 2014–2015: A multistage cross-sectional study.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12https://doi.org/10.1371/JOURNAL.PONE.0188312
- 32. 2013: 109-120https://doi.org/10.7870/Cjcmh-2013-025 (3) Unheard Voices: Mothers of Adult Children With Schizophrenia Speak up.
- Mental health action plan 2013 - 2020. WHO.
- Love, loss, and learning: The experiences of fathers who have children diagnosed with schizophrenia.Journal of Counseling & Development. 2009; 87: 339-348https://doi.org/10.1002/J.1556-6678.2009.TB00115.X
- Experiences of caring for a sibling with schizophrenia in a Chinese context: A neglected issue.International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2017; 26: 409-417https://doi.org/10.1111/INM.12269
- A theory of meaning of caregiving for parents of mentally ill children in Taiwan, a qualitative study.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010; 19: 259-265https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1365-2702.2009.02984.X
- 45. 2016: 183-192https://doi.org/10.1080/00207411.2016.1204810 (3) Associations between Beliefs About the Causes of Mental Disorders and Stigmatizing Attitudes: Results of a Mental Health Literacy and Stigma Survey of the Japanese Public.
- Self-management in chinese people with schizophrenia and their caregivers: A qualitative study on facilitators and barriers.International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2014; 23: 355-363https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12055