Aims and background
continuous and effective care is needed to improve the quality of life of patients with depression. The present study aimed to determine the effect of nursing home care on the quality of life of patients with Major Depressive Disorder.
This is a clinical trial study in which a total of 50 patients with Major Depressive Disorder were recruited using convenience sampling and then randomly assigned to two groups of control and intervention.
Data were collected using a demographic questionnaire and the McGill Quality of Life Questionnaire at three time-points of before, three months, and six months after the intervention. Patients in the intervention group received nursing home care in accordance with nursing process (5–6 training sessions of 1.5 to 2 h, one session every two weeks over three months). They also received telephone follow-up. Data were analyzed with SPSS software version 16.0 using independent-samples t-test, chi square and repeated measures Analysis of Variance.
The results of the present study indicated there was a significant difference in the mean score of the overall quality of life and its domains between the intervention and the control group at three and six months after the intervention.
Based on the results of the present study, it was concluded that the nursing home care program can improve the quality of life and its domains in patients with Major Depressive Disorder.
Relevance to clinical practice
According to this study, by follow up of patients with major depression disorder after discharge and performing care and counseling interventions at home besides routine treatment plan, it is possible to prevent re-hospitalization and decrease hospitalization costs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The interface of pancreatic cancer with diabetes, obesity, and inflammation: research gaps and opportunities: summary of a national institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases workshop.Pancreas. 2018; 47: 516
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders.American Psychiatric Pub, (DSM-5®)2013
- Factors influencing quality of life for disabled and nondisabled elderly population: the results of a multiple correspondence analysis.Current gerontology and geriatrics research. 2013; : 2013
- Self-focused attention and mechanisms of change in mindfulness-based treatment.Cogn. Behav. Ther. 2009; 38: 15-20
- Effect of nursing care given at home on the quality of life of patients with stomach cancer and their family caregivers’ nursing care.Eur.J. Cancer Care. 2018; 27e12567
- Social integration of children with visual impairment: a developmental model.Elementary education online. 2010; 9
- The McGill quality of life questionnaire: a measure of quality of life appropriate for people with advanced disease. A preliminary study of validity and acceptability.Palliat. Med. 1995; 9: 207-219
- Measuring the quality of life of people at the end of life: the McGill quality of life questionnaire-revised.Palliat. Med. 2017; 31: 120-129
- Mood disorders and quality of life. A community study.Nord. J. Psychiatry. 2010; 64: 58-62
- Evaluation and comparing of quality of life in patients with major depression and bipolar mood disorder in partial recovery phase with normal individuals.journal of urmia university. 2013; 24: 364-372
- Sex differences in depression: does inflammation play a role?.Curr. Psychiatry Rep. 2015; 17: 78https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-015-0618-5
- The origins and current status of behavioral activation treatments for depression.Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol. 2011; 7: 1-38
- Prevalence of depression in personnel of zanjan university of medical sciences.ZUMS Journal. 2011; 19: 107-113
- Cross-cultural validation of the brazilian portuguese version of the McGill quality of life questionnaire.Palliat Med Care. 2014; 1: 7
- Glycemic outcome not predicted by baseline psychological measures in a diabetes management program.Popul. Health Manag. 2012; 15: 163-167
- A prospective, experimental study to assess the effectiveness of home care nursing on the healing of peristomal skin complications and quality of life.OstomyWound Manage. 2018; 64: 18-30
- Effect of home-based pulmonary rehabilitation on daily activity of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Evidence Based Care. 2015; 4: 69-76
- Effect of home nursing care program on daily activities of patients with stroke in Urmia.Journal of Urmia Nursing and Midwifery Faculty. 2015; 13: 1071-1080
- Major depressive disorder and kappa opioid receptor antagonists.Translational perioperative and pain medicine. 2016; 1: 4
- Influence of functional impairment and social support on depressive symptoms in persons with diabetes.Health Psychology. 1990; 9: 737
- The 2016 World Health Organization classification of tumors of the central nervous system: A summary.Acta Neuropathol. 2016; 131: 803-820
- Comparing of family functioning among depressed and non- depressed epileptic women’s.Pathology, counseling and family enrichment. 2019; 5: 155-168
- Clarifying the links between social support and health: culture, stress, and neuroticism matter.J. Health Psychol. 2013; 18: 226-235
- Associations between improved glucose control and patient-reported outcomes after initiation of insulin pump therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2011; 13: 471-476
- Depression facilitators from the perspective of iranian patients with major depressive disorder: a qualitative research.The Egyptian Journal of Neurology, Psychiatry and Neurosurgery. 2021; 57: 1-9
- Impact of personalized in-home nursing care plans on dependence in ADLs/IADLs and on family burden among adults diagnosed with schizophrenia: a randomized controlled study.Perspect. Psychiatr. Care. 2013; 49: 171-178
- The problem of autonomy from the cognitive science point of view.Stud. Hist. Philos. 2017; 8: 155-170
- Barriers to improvement of mental health services in low-income and middle-income countries.The Lancet. 2007; 370: 1164-1174
- Prevalence of depression among iranian elderly: systematic review and meta-analysis.Iran. J. Psychiatry. 2018; 13: 55
- The diabetes 2-month turnaround.Clinical Diabetes. 2017; 35: 358-359
- The effect of meta cognetive therapy on depression and quality of life major depressive patients.nkums. 2015; 7: 253-265
- Home care as change of the technical-assistance model.Revista de saude publica. 2010; 44: 166-176
- Evaluation of the delivery of long-term at-home nursing care: an example of good practice.J. Clin. Nurs. 2018;
THE world health report, n.d. available from: http://www.who.int/campigns/worldhealth.
- The impact of home-based physiotherapy interventions on breathlessness during activities of daily living in severe COPD. A systematic review.Physiotherapy. 2010; 96: 108-119
- Reliability and validity of japanese version of the McGill quality of life questionnaire assessed by application in palliative care wards.Palliat. Med. 2009; 23: 659-664
- Epigenetic mechanisms of major depression: Targeting neuronal plasticity.Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci. 2018; 72: 212-227
- Efficiency of home care services in patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: a 12-month follow up study.Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology of Iran. 2010; 16: 307
- Mental health and psychosocial support services in primary health care in Nepal: Perceived facilitating factors, barriers and strategies for improvement.BMC Psychiatry. 2020; 20: 1-13
- Psychiatric-mental health nursing.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013
W.lam2018W.lam, R. (2018). depression. third eddition, oxford psychiatry library.
- Randomized controlled trial of a family-oriented self-management program to improve self-efficacy, glycemic control and quality of life among thai individuals with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 2017; 123: 37-48
- What type of social support influences self-reported physical and mental health among older women?.J. Aging Health. 2014; 26: 663-678
- Development and psychometric properties of the dialysis module of the WHOQOL-BREF Taiwan version.J. Formos. Med. Assoc. 2006; 105: 299-309
- factors structure of MCGILL quality of life questionnaire in patients with heart disease. second-order confirmatory factor analysis.irje. 2018; 14: 83-94
Published online: October 25, 2022
Accepted: October 1, 2022
Received in revised form: September 13, 2022
Received: August 3, 2021
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.