- •Approximately half of the nursing students were risky internet users.
- •Internet addiction negatively affects communication skills in nursing students.
- •Internet addiction was determined to have a positive effect on emotion regulation difficulties in nursing students.
- •Internet addiction has a greater effect on difficulty in emotion regulation levels.
This study investigates the relationships between nursing students' internet addiction levels, communication skills and difficulties in emotion regulation. This cross-sectional study included 463 nursing students who completed the Internet Addiction Scale (IAS), Communication Skills Scale (CSS) and Difficulties in Emotion Regulation Scale (DERS-16). Approximately half of the nursing students were risky internet users. A negative statistically significant was determined between from IAS and CSS; a positive statistically significant was determined between from IAS and DERS-16. It was found that internet addiction had an effect of 18.6 % (R2 = 0.186) on difficulty in emotion regulation and 0.27 % on communication skills (R2 = 0.027). The students who were in risky group in internet addiction had worse communication skills and higher levels of difficulties in emotion regulation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Assesment of nursing students' communication skills.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2017; 38: 149-151
- Difficulties of students’ in communication with patients and their perception of difficult patient.Journal of Psychiatric Nursing. 2016; https://doi.org/10.5505/phd.2016.20592
- Internet addiction and depression, anxiety and stress.International Online Journal of Educational Sciences. 2011; 3: 138-148
- Exploring associations between internet addiction, depressive symptoms, and sleep disturbance among Saudi nursing students. The open.Nursing Journal. 2020; 14https://doi.org/10.2174/1874434602014010029
- An investigation of emotional regulation difficulties of nursing students with clinical experience.Online Turkish Journal of Health Sciences. 2021; 6: 200-291
- Relationship between level of internet addiction and time management skills among nursing students.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1111/ppc.12845
- Problematic internet use, problem solving skills and emotional regulation among junior high school students article info.Jurnal Bimbingan Konseling. 2018; 7
- Communication skills of students at a health high school and related variables.Acibadem University Journal of Health Sciences. 2015; 6: 160-165
- The relationship between computer-internet addiction and family functions among university students.Education Sciences. 2011; 6: 231-239
- Internet addiction test.Educational Sciences and Practice. 2008; 7: 87-102
- Prevalence, predictors, psychological correlates of internet addiction among college students in India: A comprehensive study.Anadolu Psikiyatri Dergisi. 2020; 21https://doi.org/10.5455/apd.47328
- Development and validation of a brief version of the difficulties in emotion regulation scale: The DERS-16.Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment. 2016; 38https://doi.org/10.1007/s10862-015-9514-x
- Prevalence of internet addiction in healthcare professionals: Systematic review and meta-analysis. In.International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2021; 67https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764020959093
- Prevalence of problematic internet use and its association with quality of life among undergraduate nursing students in the later stage of COVID-19 pandemic era in China.American Journal on Addictions. 2021; 30https://doi.org/10.1111/ajad.13216
- The smartphone addiction levels and the association with communication skills in nursing and medical school students.Journal of Nursing Research. 2020; 28https://doi.org/10.1097/jnr.0000000000000370
- Relationship between smartphone addiction of nursing department students and their communication skills.Contemporary Nurse. 2018; 54https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2018.1448291
- “Talk to them”: Teaching communication skills to students of traditional chinese medicine.Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 2016; 6https://doi.org/10.5430/jnep.v6n12p49
- Mindfulness and emotion regulation among nursing students: Investigating the mediation effect of working memory capacity.Mindfulness. 2016; 7https://doi.org/10.1007/s12671-016-0544-6
- Evaluation of anxiety, depression, difficulty in emotion regulation and sleep quality in healthcare professionals during the Covid-19 pandemic.İstanbul Kanuni Sultan Süleyman Tıp Dergisi. 2021; 13https://doi.org/10.4274/iksstd.2021.04809
- Internet addiction or problematic internet use? Which term should be used?.Psicologia USP. 2019; 30https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-6564E190020
- SPSS for windows step by step: A simple guide and reference, 17.0 update.(10a ed.). Pearson, Boston2010
- Multidimensional assessment of emotion regulation and dysregulation: Development, factor structure, and initial validation of the difficulties in emotion regulation scale.Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment. 2008; 30https://doi.org/10.1007/s10862-008-9102-4
- The effect of assertiveness education on communication skills given to nursing students.International Journal of Caring Sciences. 2018; 11: 395-401
- Emotional intelligence and internet addiction among nursing interns.Clinical Nursing Studies. 2016; 4https://doi.org/10.5430/cns.v4n1p70
- Problematic internet use as an age-related multifaceted problem: Evidence from a two-site survey.Addictive Behaviors. 2018; 81https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2018.02.017
- Psychometric properties of the health professionals communication skills scale in university students of health sciences.International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020; 17https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17207565
- Examining the Relationship Between Smartphone Addiction and Communication Skills University Students.İstanbul Gelişim University, Graduate School of Education, 2020 (Department of Psychology Master Thesis, Istanbul)
- The relationship between internet addiction, loneliness and sleep quality among students of nursing and midwifery faculty. Zahedan.Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2018; (In Press)https://doi.org/10.5812/zjrms.68394
- Relationship between problematic internet use and time management among nursing students.CIN - computers informaticsNursing. 2018; 36https://doi.org/10.1097/CIN.0000000000000391
- Developing a communication skills scale: Validity and reliability studies.Mersin University Journal of the Faculty of Education. 2014; 10
- The relationship between internet addiction and risky health behaviors in university students: A cross-sectional study in Turkey.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2022; 58https://doi.org/10.1111/ppc.12872
- The mediating role of coping strategies in the relationship of difficulties in emotion regulation with ınternet addiction among college students.Horizon Medical Sciences. 2020; 26: 38-53
- The effect of group psychoeducation program based on ınterpersonal emotion regulation approach on ınterpersonal emotion regulation skills of university students.MSKU Journal of Education. 2021; 8: 214-230
- The relationship between ınternet addiction, need for cognition and expressing emotions of university students.Journal of Education for Life. 2020; 34: 523-541
- Influence of self-awareness, other-awareness, and interpersonal relation competence on smartphone and internet addiction in nursing students.Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2018; 27https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2018.27.1.74
- The examination of ınternet addiction and psychological symptoms among adolescents according to various variables.Journal of Social Sciences of Mus Alparslan University. 2018; 6: 31-41
- Relationship between nursing students' levels of internet addiction, loneliness, and life satisfaction.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2020; 56https://doi.org/10.1111/ppc.12474
- Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE): Explanation and elaboration. Translation to Russian.Digital Diagnostics. 2021; 2https://doi.org/10.17816/dd70821
- Digital 2021: The latest insights into the ‘State Of Digital’.(Available from:)https://wearesocial.com/uk/blog/2021/01/digital-2021-the-latest-insights-into-the-state-of-digital/(Accessed date:20.02.2022)Date: 2021
- The relationship between recent stressful life events, personality traits, perceived family functioning and internet addiction among college students.Stress and Health. 2014; 30https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.2490
- The prevalence and predictive factors of internet addiction and its relationship with emotional intelligence among medical students.Social Health and Behavior. 2019; 2https://doi.org/10.4103/shb.shb_17_19
- Psychometric properties of turkish version of difficulties in emotion regulation scale-brief form (DERS-16).Current Psychology. 2019; 38https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-017-9712-7
- Internet addiction: The emergence of a new clinical disorder.Cyberpsychology and Behavior. 1998; 1https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.237
- Prevalence of internet addiction in medical students: A meta-analysis.Academic Psychiatry. 2018; 42https://doi.org/10.1007/s40596-017-0794-1
Published online: December 17, 2022
Accepted: December 10, 2022
Received in revised form: November 7, 2022
Received: July 6, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.