- •Parenting Stress Scale for Clinical Nurses Turkish version can be used as a valid and reliable scale.
- •The scale consists of 17 items and 4 factors as “psychological burden,physical and mental fatigue,shift,work environment”.
- •Total Cronbach α was found as 0.872, while it was found to vary between 0.772 and 0.876 in the factors.
- •Mean score of the nurses from PSSCN was 12.31±1.77.
The aim of this study is to conduct the validity and reliability study of Parenting Stress Scale for Clinical Nurses. Sample of the study consisted of 202 nurses who were working as clinical nurse in the hospital, who had children between the ages of 3 and 6 and who volunteered to participate in the study. The scale consists of 17 items and 4 factors as “psychological burden”, “physical and mental fatigue”, “shift”, and “work environment”. Fix index values were found as x2/SD 1.56, GFI 0.91, AGFI 0.87, CFI 0.96, RMR 0.039, RMSEA 0.053 and SRMR 0.064. Total Cronbach α coefficient of the scale was found as 0.872. Parenting Stress Scale for Clinical Nurses Turkish version can be used as a valid and reliable instrument.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Exploratory factor analysis and principal component analysis in clinical studies: Which one should you use?.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2020; 76: 1886-1889https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14377
- Chi-square for model fit in confirmatory factor analysis.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2020; 76: 2209-2211https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14399
- The relationship between work-family conflict and job satisfaction among hospital nurses.Nursing Forum. 2017; 52: 278-288https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12199
- Applied statistics and validity-reliability.Detay Publishing, Ankara2020
- The parenting stress scale: The validity and the reliability study.International Journal of Early Childhood Education Studies. 2017; 2: 24-38
- A relationship between parenting stress, parenting knowledge, and parenting self-efficacy of mother with infant.Educ Theory Pract Infant Young Child. 2018; 3: 61-81
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of psychological instruments: Some considerations.Paidéia. 2012; 22: 423-432https://doi.org/10.1590/1982-43272253201314
- A review on sample size determination for Cronbach's alpha test: A simple guide for researchers.The Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2018; 25: 85-99https://doi.org/10.21315/mjms2018.25.6.9
- Perceived and sources of occupational stress in surgical intensive care nurses.Proceedings of Singapore Healthcare. 2021; 30: 200-205https://doi.org/10.1177/2010105820963293
- Data analysis handbook for social sciences statistics, research pattern Spss applications and interpretation.Pegem Academy, Ankara2020
- Intercultural scale adaptation stages, language and culture adaptation: Updated guideline.Florence Nightingale Journal of Nursing. 2018; 26: 199-210https://doi.org/10.26650/FNJN397481
- Mediating effects of parental stress on harsh parenting and parent-child relationship during coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in Singapore.Journal of Family Violence. 2022; 37: 801-812https://doi.org/10.1007/s10896-020-00200-1
- Indulgent parenting, helicopter parenting, and well-being of parents and emerging adults.Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2019; 28: 860-871https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-018-01314-3
- Fatigue, parenting stress, self-efficacy and satisfaction in mothers of ınfants and young children.Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology. 2012; 30: 145-159https://doi.org/10.1080/02646838.2012.693910
- Analyzing the relationship between parenting styles, behavioural problems and school readiness through the mediating role of self regulation.Education and Science. 2018; 43: 27-47
- Measurement and scale development in psychology 1: Basic concepts and processes.Pegem Academy, Ankara2021
- Data collection methods and tools-reliability and validity of data collection tools.in: Erdoğan S. Nahcivan N. Esin M.N. Research, process practice and critical in nursing. Nobel Medical Bookstores, İstanbul2021: 193-235
- On exploratory factor analysis: A review of recent evidence, an assessment of current practice, and recommendations for future use.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2014; 51: 511-521https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.005
- Ho R.C. Hou Hong Ng A. Nourallah M. Impact of globalization and advanced technologies on online business models. IGI Global, 2021
- Factors influencing the intent to return to practice (work) of inactive RNs.Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society. 2016; 27: 791-801https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.3.791
- Scientific research method concepts principles techniques with scientific will perception framework.Nobel Academy, Ankara2020
- Work-famıly conflıct among paramedıcal staff.Mustang Journal of Business & Ethics. 2011; 2: 56-60
- Experience of conflict in three shift nurses rearing more than two kids: Phenomenological study.Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2018; 24: 252-264https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2018.24.3.252
- Principles and practice of structural equation modeling.The Guilford Press, 2016
- Development and validation of an ınstrument for measuring parenting stress among clinical nurses.Asian Nursing Research. 2021; 15: 223-230https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2021.07.001
- The lived experiences of childrearing with specific focus on the nurses on three-shift schedules.Qualitative Research. 2015; 16: 71-84https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2015.16.2.71
- Factors affecting burnout in female nurses who have preschool-age children.Japan Journal of Nursing Science. 2016; 13: 123-134https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12096
- Analyzing US nurse turnover: are nurses leaving their jobs or the profession itself.Journal of Hospital Administration. 2015; 4: 48-56https://doi.org/10.5430/jha.v4n4p48
- Health and safety of health care workers.Balıkesır Health Scıences Journal. 2013; 2: 192-199
- Work stress among chinese nurses to support Wuhan in fighting against COVID-19 epidemic.Journal of Nursing Management. 2020; 28: 1002-1009https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.13014
- The association between self-critical rumination and parenting stress: The mediating role of mindful parenting.Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2018; 27: 2265-2275https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-018-1072-x
- The role of psychological flexibility in the relationship between parent and adolescent distress.Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2014; 24: 1406-1418https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-014-9947-y
- A study of nurses' working stress, child-rearing stress and parenting attitude.The Journal of Digital Policy & Management. 2013; 11: 469-481https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.10.469
- Package programs with statistical data analysis.Nisan Bookstore, Ankara2018
- Stress sources perceived by emergency service nurses: A qualitative study.Health Care Acad J. 2021; 8: 64-70
- Parent stress scale development.Journal of National Education. 2012; 42: 20-35
- Nursing research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice.Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2012
- Advice on exploratory factor analysis.Birmingham City University. 2016; 1–8https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.1.5013.9766
- Practical data analysis with Spss and Lisrel.Anı Publishing, Ankara2017
- Converged ınfluencing factors on the career commitment of general hospital nurses with preschool children.Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 2020; 11: 341-351
- Using multivariate statistics.Pearson, 2019
- The use of cronbach's alpha when developing and reporting research instruments in science education.Research in Science Education. 2017; 48: 1273-1296https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-016-9602-2
- A comparative study of satisfaction and family conflicts among married nurses with different working hours.Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2019; 8: 472-476https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_395_18
- Work-family conflict and burnout among chinese female nurses: The mediating effect of psychological capital.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 915https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-915
- A road map for the content validity used in scale development studies.Erzincan University Journal of Education Faculty. 2018; 20: 251-264https://doi.org/10.17556/erziefd.297741
- Determination of the relationship between level of coping with stress and medical malpractice tendency in nurses.Health Care Academic Journal. 2019; 6: 288-294
- Using content validity indexes for content validity in scale development studies.
- Quality of work life and work-family conflict: A cross-sectional study among nurses in teaching hospitals.Nursing Management. 2020; https://doi.org/10.7748/nm.2020.e1881
- Work-family conflict and psychophysical health conditions of nurses: Gender differences and moderating variables.Journal of Nursing Science. 2020; 17: 12324https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12324
Published online: January 03, 2023
Accepted: December 28, 2022
Received in revised form: November 23, 2022
Received: July 13, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.