- •Childhood traumas were low among nursing students.
- •Emotional neglect was the most frequently reported type of abuse.
- •There were some factors associated with childhood traumas among nursing students.
The present study aimed to determine the level of childhood traumas among nursing students and to identify the factors associated with these traumas. This was a cross-sectional study, including 1810 nursing students studying at the nursing department of any university in Turkey. The data were collected using the Childhood Trauma Questionnaire and an online questionnaire consisting of questions related to sociodemographic characteristics. The results of these questionnaires indicated that the level of childhood traumas was low among nursing students and that they had experienced emotional neglect more frequently than sexual abuse. Moreover, this study identified possible factors associated with childhood trauma among these students.
Nursing students with a history of trauma or current trauma can be guided to participate in activities that improve their resilience. In addition, specific courses may be included in the nursing education curriculum to increase the awareness on this topic among these students.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The relationship between university students' childhood traumas and their body image coping strategies as well as eating attitudes.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2021; 35: 66-72
- Risk factors for child sexual abuse victimization: A meta-analytic review.Psychological Bulletin. 2019; 145: 459-489
- Risk and protective factors for child maltreatment: A review.Curr Epidemiol Rep. 2020; 7 (Oct 7): 334-342
- Survey of adverse childhood experiences among romanian university students: Study report from the 2012 survey.WHO Regional Office for Europe, 2013
- The effect of childhood trauma life on self-esteem in school of health students in a province of Western Turkey.Life Science Journal. 2014; 11 (749-158)
- National household survey of adverse childhood experiences and their relationship with resilience to health-harming behaviors in England.BMC Medicine. 2014; 12: 72
- Childhood trauma questionnaire.in: Assessment of family violence: A handbook for researchers and practitioners. 1998
- Preventing adverse childhood experiences: Leveraging the best available evidence.National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2019
- Addressing childhood trauma in school settings: A framework for evidence-based practice.School Mental Health. 2019; 11: 40-53
- Association of childhood trauma exposure with adult psychiatric disorders and functional outcomes.JAMA Network Open. 2018; 1e184493
- Examination of childhood trauma levels by gender groups.Journal of International Social Research. 2020; 13
- Childhood traumas: A review.Sakarya Medical Journal. 2018; 8: 695-711
- The male nursing students’ childhood traumas and attitudes toward violence: A cross-sectional study in Turkey.Archives of Mental Health. 2021; 22: 125
- Adverse childhood experiences, allostasis, allostatic load, and age-related disease.Physiology & Behavior. 2012; 106: 29-39
- Relationship of childhood trauma, psychological resilience, and family resilience among undergraduate nursing students: A cross-sectional study.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2021; 57: 852-859
- Evidence base update for psychosocial treatments for children and adolescents exposed to traumatic events.Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology. 2017; 46: 303-330
- Childhood abuse, neglect, codependency, and affecting factors in nursing and child development students.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2022; 58: 1357-1371
- Preventing child abuse and neglect: a technical package for policy, norm, and programmatic activities.National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2016
- Reported prevalence of childhood maltreatment among chinese college students: A systematic review and meta-analysis.PloS One. 2018; 13e0205808
- ACEs implications for nurses, nursing education, and nursing practice.Academic Pediatrics. 2017; 17: 16-17
- A descriptive study of adverse childhood experiences and depression, anxiety, and stress among undergraduate nursing students.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2021; 37: 291-297
- Adverse childhood experiences and the consequences on neurobiological, psychosocial, and somatic conditions across the lifespan.Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2018; 9: 420
- Social determinants of health and child maltreatment: A systematic review.Pediatric Research. 2021; 89: 269-274
- Public health Nurses' professional practices to prevent, recognize, and respond to suspected child maltreatment in home visiting: An interpretive descriptive study.Global Qualitative Nursing Research. 2021; 8 (2333393621993450)
- Childhood adversities and adult psychopathology in the WHO world mental health surveys.The British Journal of Psychiatry: the Journal of Mental Science. 2010; 197: 378-385
- Family structure and history of childhood trauma: Associations with risk-taking behavior among adolescents in Swaziland.Frontiers in Public Health. 2020; 8563325
- Child trauma exposure and psychopathology: Mechanisms of risk and resilience.Current Opinion in Psychology. 2017; 14: 29-34
- Child maltreatment: A public health overview and prevention considerations. OJIN: The.Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. 2014; 19
- Adverse childhood experiences and trauma informed care: The future of health care.Pediatric Research. 2016; 79: 227-233
- Nursing students' childhood trauma according to some sociodemographic characteristics.Halk Sağlığı Hemşireliği Dergisi. 2019; 1: 28-42
- Survey of adverse childhood experiences among young people in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.World Health Organization. Regional Office for Europe, 2013
- Childhood abuse affects emotional closeness with family in mid- and later life.Child Abuse & Neglect. 2013; 37: 388-399
- Effects of polygenic risk score, childhood trauma and resilience on depressive symptoms in Chinese adolescents in a three-year cohort study.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2021; 282: 627-636
- Professor of Statistics, University of Wisconsin Madison. Verified email at.Journal of the American Statistical Association. 2002; 97 (2002): 193-200
- The universality of childhood emotional abuse: A metaanalysis of worldwide prevalence.Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma. 2012; 21: 870-890
- A revised and expanded version of the Turkish childhood trauma questionnaire (CTQ-33): Overprotection-overcontrol as additional factor.Journal of Trauma & Dissociation. 2020; 22: 35-51
- Childhood maltreatment and emotional distress: The role of beliefs about emotion and psychological inflexibility.Current Psychology. 2022; : 1-12
- Investigation of childhood abuse experiences of high school adolescents according to sex, income level and parental education status.Journal of Society & Social Work. 2018; 29: 71-89
- Childhood maltreatment among university students in Turkey: Prevalence, demographic factors, and health-related quality of life consequences.Psychology, Health & Medicine. 2021; 26: 543-554
- The influence of geographical and economic factors in estimates of childhood abuse and neglect using the childhood trauma questionnaire: A worldwide meta-regression analysis.Child Abuse & Neglect. 2016; 51: 1-11
- Overprotection and overcontrol in childhood: An evaluation on reliability and validity of 33-item expanded childhood trauma questionnaire (CTQ-33), Chinese version.Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2022; 68: 102-962
Published online: January 18, 2023
Accepted: January 14, 2023
Received in revised form: December 22, 2022
Received: August 11, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.