- •Brief positive psychological online interventions are a possible way to train self-management competences of nursing staff
- •The intervention leads to a reflection of the nurses’ application competence indicating resource-promoting potential
- •Humour competence should be trained in a separate Intervention
The aim of this study is to evaluate a brief positive psychological intervention with regard to the mental health of nursing staff in German hospitals. It addresses the question of how positive-psychological online exercises should be designed.
Nurses in hospitals are known to suffer from mental strain and risk depressive as well as anxiety disorders. The covid-19-pandemic leads to a further aggravation of the situation. Opposed to that, positive psychological interventions can increase resilience by promoting self-management competences and mental strength.
A 90 min positive-psychological workshop was conducted with six nurses who worked in German hospitals. It consisted of imparting knowledge on positive psychology and learning different positive psychological practices. Afterwards, guideline-based interviews were conducted with six nurses. The outcomes of interest were how the intervention was evaluated, to what extent the intervention led to a reflection and a promotion of self-management competences and whether it allowed the participants to transfer the learnings into everyday life.
The intervention led to a reflection of the application competence of positive-psychological techniques by the participating nurses. A promotion of the competences could not be reached. Especially the reflection and promotion of humour competence manifested itself as difficult.
Despite its short-term nature, the online intervention resulted in a reflection of the nurses' application competence of positive psychology indicating its resource-promoting potential. Follow-up exercises or peer groups should be used for further development, while a training of humour competence might be part of a separate intervention.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Positive Psychologie: Ein Handbuch für die Praxis. Junfermann Verlag GmbH, 2018
- Positive Psychologie und Selbstmanagement: Förderung der Mentalen Stärke.Windmühle, Hamburg2017
- Humour.in: Braun O.L. Selbstmanagement und Mentale Stärke im Arbeitsleben. Springer Berlin, Berlin2019: 79-102
- Online-Umfrage zeigt: Mitarbeitende auf den Intensivstationen, Notaufnahmen und im Rettungsdienst sind erschöpft.(Abgerufen am 01.09.2021, von)https://www.dgiin.de/allgemeines/pressemitteilungen/pm-leser/online-umfrage-zeigt-mitarbeitende-auf-den-intensivstationen-notaufnahmen-und-im-rettungsdienst-sind-erschoepft.htmlDate: 2021
- Using gratitude to promote positive change: A series of meta-analyses investigating the effectiveness of gratitude interventions.Basic and Applied Social Psychology. 2017; 39: 193-208https://doi.org/10.1080/01973533.2017.1323638
- The role of positive emotions in positive psychology: The broaden-an-built theory of positive emotions.American Psychologist. 2001; 56: 218-226
- Forschungsmethoden in Psychologie und Sozialwissenschaften für Bachelor (2., überarb. Aufl.).Springer, Berlin Heidelberg2013
- A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of randomized controlled positive psychological interventions on subjective and psychological well-being.Applied Research in Quality of Life. 2021; 16: 1145-1185
- Psychische Belastung – was tun?.in: baua aktuell 2/12, Bundesanstalt für Arbeitsschutz und Arbeitsmedizin (S. 6), Dortmund. 2012
- Prevalence of secondary traumatic stress among psychiatric nurses in Greece.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2015; 29: 333-338https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2015.06.001
- Einführung in die qualitative Sozialforschung (6., überarb. Aufl.). Weinheim Basel: Beltz.2016
- Qualitative Inhaltsanalyse: Grundlagen und Techniken (12., überarb. Aufl.). Weinheim Basel: Beltz.2015
- Qualitative Inhaltsanalyse – Abgrenzungen, Spielarten, Weiterentwicklungen.Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung/ Forum: Qualitative Social Research. 2019; 20: 16https://doi.org/10.17169/fqs-20.3.3343
- Psychosocial burden and working conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic in Germany: The VOICE survey among 3678 health care workers in hospitals.Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2021; 144110415
- Stress and depressive symptoms among Italian mental health nurses during the COVID-19 pandemic, a cross-sectional study.Archive of Psychiatric Nursing. 2021; 36: 41-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2021.11.002
- Employee training and development.4th ed. McGraw-Hill, Boston2008
- Arbeitsbedingungen in Pflegeberufen.in: Jacobs K. Kuhlmey A. Greß S. Klauber J. Schwinger A. Pflege-Report 2019: Mehr Personal in der Langzeitpflege–aber woher? Springer, Berlin2020: 49-60
- Flourish – Wie Menschen aufblühen: Die Positive Psychologie des gelingenden Lebens.Kösel, München2011
- Positive psychology progress: Empirical validation of interventions.American Psychologist. 2005; 60: 410-421https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.60.5.410
- Enhancing well‐being and alleviating depressive symptoms with positive psychology interventions: A practice‐friendly meta‐analysis.Journal of clinical psychology. 2009; 65: 467-487
- Positive Psychologie in der Praxis: Anwendung in der Psychotherapie, Beratung und Coaching.Beltz, Weinheim2012
- The relationships among work stress, resourcefulness, and depression level in psychiatric nurses.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2015; 29: 64-70https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2014.10.002
Published online: April 14, 2023
Accepted: April 8, 2023
Received in revised form: January 12, 2023
Received: July 16, 2022
© 2023 Published by Elsevier Inc.