- •Students' attitudes toward LGBTI individuals are positively above average.
- •Some demographic characteristics are important predictors of attitudes toward LGBTI.
- •LGBTI health should be integrated into the undergraduate curriculum.
- •Students' awareness of LGBTI health should be increased.
This study aimed to examine the relationships between the demographic characteristics, knowledge, and attitude of health professional students toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) individuals.
A total of 860 undergraduate health professional students were enrolled in this analytical cross-sectional study.
The attitudes of health professional students toward LGBTI individuals are moderately positive. Some variables such as gender, faculty/department, mother's working status, having knowledge about LGBTI, having friends who are openly LGBTI, and thoughts about being an LGBTI explained 17.1 % of the variance in attitudes toward LGBTI individuals.
Since negative attitudes may prevent LGBTI individuals from receiving effective health care, courses that increase students' awareness of their own prejudices and knowledge of LGBTI health and communication should be integrated into undergraduate programs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Medical students and interns' knowledge about and attitude towards homosexuality.Journal of Postgraduate Medicine. 2015; 61: 95https://doi.org/10.4103/0022-3859.153103
- Attitudes of midwifery and nursing students in a turkish university toward lesbians and gay men and opinions about healthcare approaches.Nurse Education in Practice. 2018; 29: 179-184https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2017.11.018
- LGBT healthcare disparities: What progress have we made?.Patient Education and Counseling. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2017.06.003
- The attitudes of nursing students towards lesbians and gay males in Turkey.International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2015; 21: 376-382https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12294
- A biopsychosocial framework for understanding sexual and gender minority health: A call for action.Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. 2021; 129: 107-116https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2021.06.004
- Attitude scale towards LGBTI individuals: Validity and reliability study.Journal of Pedagogical Research. 2017; 1: 34-42
- Peer attitudes toward LGBT-identified university students as mediated by demographic factors.Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health. 2017; 21: 277-291https://doi.org/10.1080/19359705.2017.1320697
- A comparative study of attitudes toward same-gender parenting and gay and lesbian rights in Portugal and in Mexico.Journal of Homosexuality. 2019; 66: 1909-1926https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2018.1519303
- Minority stress and psychological outcomes in sexual minorities: The role of barriers to accessing services.Journal of Homosexuality. 2020; : 1-13https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2020.1804264
- Development and reliability study of homosexuality attitudes scale: A preliminary study.Anatolian Journal of Psychiatry. 2008; 9: 84-90
- Knowledge: A possible tool in shaping medical professionals'attitudes towards homosexuality.Psychiatria Danubina. 2012; 24: 143-151
- Lezbiyen ve geylere yönelik tutum (LGYT) ölçeği: Güvenirlik ve geçerlik çalışması [Attitude scale towards lesbians and gays (ASTLG): Reliability and validity study].Turkish Journal of HIVAIDS. 2004; 7: 106-112
- Exploring perceived discrimination among LGBT individuals in Turkey in education, employment, and health care: Results of an online survey.Journal of Homosexuality. 2017; 64: 1052-1068https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2016.1236598
- Determining homophobic attitudes of nursing students in Turkey and the factors affecting them.Clinical and Experimental Health Sciences. 2019; 9: 21-28https://doi.org/10.5152/clinexphealthsci.2018.839
- “In the voices of people like me”: LGBTQ coping during Trump's administration.The Counseling Psychologist. 2022; 00110000211057199https://doi.org/10.1177/00110000211057199
- Comparing medical, dental, and nursing students' preparedness to address lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer health.PloS One. 2018; 13e0204104https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0204104
- Sexual stigma and sexual prejudice in the United States: A conceptual framework.in: Contemporary perspectives on lesbian, gay, and bisexual identities. Springer, 2009: 65-111
- LGBTQIs in Turkey: The challenges and resilience of this marginalized group.Sexuality Research and Social Policy. 2021; 18: 440-449https://doi.org/10.1007/s13178-020-00471-9
- A discriminational attitude and behavior in the healthcare field: Homophobia level in healthcare professionals working in primary health services and the affecting factors.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2022; 58: 2294-2302https://doi.org/10.1111/ppc.13059
- Austrian university hospital physicians' barriers to and reasons for assessing their patients' sexual orientation.Journal of Homosexuality. 2021; 68: 2476-2489https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2020.1809889
- Attitudes of students towards lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community (LGBT) in Khammam.Age. 2019; 200: 26
- Offline and online discrimination and mental distress among lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals: The moderating effect of LGBTQ facebook use.Media Psychology. 2022; 25: 27-50https://doi.org/10.1080/15213269.2020.1850295
- Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: Conceptual issues and research evidence.Psychological Bulletin. 2003; 129: 674https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.129.5.674
- Prejudice and discrimination as social stressors.in: The health of sexual minorities. Springer, 2007: 242-267https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-31334-4_10
- Exposure to continuous or fluid theories of sexual orientation leads some heterosexuals to embrace less-exclusive heterosexual orientations.Scientific Reports. 2021; 11: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-94479-9
- Attitudes toward homosexuality among nursing students in a public university in Malaysia: The religious factor.Sexuality Research and Social Policy. 2015; 12: 182-187
- Attitudes of nursing students towards LGBT individuals and the affecting factors.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1111/ppc.12941
- Turkish adaptation of the lesbian internalized homophobia scale: A study of validity and reliability.Turkish Psychological Articles. 2011; 14: 24-38
- Feeling for and as a group member: Understanding LGBT victimization via group-based empathy and intergroup emotions.British Journal of Social Psychology. 2019; 58: 211-224https://doi.org/10.1111/bjso.12269
- Factors related to homophobia among nursing students.Journal of Homosexuality. 2015; 62: 1228-1240https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2015.1037135
- An investigation of university students' homophobia levels regarding gender and gender roles Üniversitesi öğrencilerinin homofobi düzeylerinin cinsiyet ve cinsiyet rolleri açısından incelenmesi.Journal of Human Sciences. 2016; 13: 4011-4019https://doi.org/10.14687/jhs.v13i3.4044
- Medical students' ability to care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered patients.Family Medicine-Kansas City-. 2006; 38: 21
- “I did not know I was gay”: Sexual identity development and fluidity among married tongzhi in China.Culture, Health & Sexuality. 2021; 1–14https://doi.org/10.1080/13691058.2021.1996631
- Hungarian medical students' knowledge about and attitude toward homosexual, bisexual, and transsexual individuals.Journal of Homosexuality. 2020; 67: 1429-1446https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2019.1600898
- The attitudes of the undergraduate nursing students towards lesbian women and gay men.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2016; 25: 3697-3706https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13347
- Unraveling health disparities among sexual and gender minorities: A commentary on the persistent impact of stigma.Journal of Homosexuality. 2019; 66: 571-589https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2017.1422944
- Predictors of heterosexual college students' attitudes toward LGBT people.Journal of LGBT Youth. 2012; 9: 297-320https://doi.org/10.1080/19361653.2012.716697
- Homophobia in health professionals in Ankara, Turkey: Developing a scale.Transcultural Psychiatry. 2019; 56: 1191-1217https://doi.org/10.1177/1363461518808166
Published online: May 01, 2023
Accepted: April 26, 2023
Received in revised form: January 29, 2023
Received: August 23, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.