- •Schizophrenia leads to poor insight and lack of motivation.
- •The functionality of the individual is impaired due to poor insight and lack of motivation.
- •Interpersonal Relations Theory-based motivational interviews has increased the functionality and insight of individuals.
- •This intervention may improve the quality of care for patients with schizophrenia.
- •Therefore, it is recommended that this intervention should be expanded in clinical practice.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
- Insight as a therapeutic goal in the process of psychological help.Current Approaches in Psychiatry. 2014; 6: 375-388https://doi.org/10.5455/cap.20140210075748
- An exploratory, randomized controlled trial of adherence therapy for people with schizophrenia.International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2010; 19: 340-349https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0349.2010.00681.x
- Long-term effects of the rehabilitation program on the clinical, social functioning and quality of life of patients with schizophrenia: A follow-up study.Anatolian Journal of Psychiatry. 2015; 16: 238-246https://doi.org/10.5455/apd.161411
- Scale for assessing the three components of insight: Reliability and validity study.Psychiatry in Turkeyxx. 2001; 3: 17-24
- Therapeutic alliance in psychological therapy for people with recent onset psychosis who use cannabis.Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2016; 67: 73-80https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2016.02.014
- The relationship between the therapeutic alliance and client variables in individual treatment for schizophrenia spectrum disorders and early psychosis: Narrative review.Clinical Psychology Review. 2019; 71: 51-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2019.05.002
- Motivational interviewing supports patient centered-care and communication.Journal of the New York State Nurses Association. 2017; 45: 39-43
- Ten-year follow up of patients with first-episode schizophrenia spectrum disorder from an early intervention service: Predictors of clinical remission and functional remission.Schizophrenia Research. 2019; 204: 65-71https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2018.08.022
- Effects of motivational interviewing-based adherence therapy for schizophrenia spectrum disorders: A randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2015; 16: 270https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-015-0785-z
- Effects of motivation interviewing using a group art therapy program on negative symptoms of schizophrenia.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2018; 32: 878-884https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2018.07.002
- Effect of internalized stigma on functional remission in patients with schizophrenia.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2019; 55: 103-111https://doi.org/10.1111/ppc.12309
- Nursing care for patients with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder according to Peplau's theory of interpersonal relationships.Turkiye Klinikleri Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2018; 10: 370-380https://doi.org/10.5336/nurses.2018-61786
- Hildegard Elizabeth Peplau: The theory of interpersonal relationships.in: Karadağ A. Çalışkan N. Baykara Z.G. Nursing theories and models. Akademi Press and Publishing, Istanbul2017: 122-144
- Incorporating Peplau’s theory of interpersonal relations to promote holistic communication between older adults and nursing students.Journal of Holistic Nursing. 2016; 34: 35-41https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010115577975
- Medication adherence in patients with schizophrenia: A qualitative study of the patient process in motivational interviewing.BMC Psychiatry. 2018; 18: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-018-1724-9
- Validity and reliability study of the Turkish version of the scale of functional remission in patients with schizophrenia.Archives of Neuropsychiatry. 2009; 46: 15-24
- Nursing process based on peplau interpersonal relationship theory applied to schizophrenia.REUFPI. 2018; 7: 42-47
- The concept of insight in psychiatric disorders: A review.Yeni Symposium. 2016; 54: 25-29https://doi.org/10.5455/NYS.201604015
- Updated perspectives on the clinical significance of negative symptoms in patients with schizophrenia.Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2022; 22: 541-555https://doi.org/10.1080/14737175.2022.2092402
- Social disconnection in schizophrenia and the general community.Schizophrenia Bulletin. 2018; 44: 242-249https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx082
- Quality of life in schizophrenic patients: The influence of sociodemographic and clinical characteristics and satisfaction with social support.Trends in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy. 2018; 40: 202-209https://doi.org/10.1590/2237-6089-2017-0002
- Medication adherence in schizophrenia: Factors influencing adherence and consequences of nonadherence, a systematic literature review.Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacolog. 2013; 3: 200-218https://doi.org/10.1177/2045125312474019
- Associations between parental bonding during childhood and functional recovery in patients with schizophrenia.Plos One. 2020; 15e0240504https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0240504
- Therapeutic relationship in person with schizophrenia: Skills for practice.American Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences. 2020; 1: 11-14https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajnhs.20200101.12
- Global social functioning of patients with schizophrenia and care burden of caregiving relatives.Journal of Psychiatric Nursing. 2019; 10: 28-38https://doi.org/10.14744/phd.2018.43815
- The effect of hope on the treatment adherence of schizophrenia patients.Annals of Medical Research. 2018; 25: 416-419https://doi.org/10.5455/annalsmedres.2018.05.092
- Insight and social functioning levels in patients with schizophrenia with and without deficit syndrome.Turkish Journal of Psychiatry. 2014; 25: 157-162
- Applying Peplau's theory in improving drug compliance of a schizophrenic patient.Hu Li Za Zhi the Journal of Nursing. 1997; 44: 56-62
- The “Functional Remission of General Schizophrenia”(FROGS) scale: Development and validation of a new questionnaire.Schizophrenia Research. 2009; 113: 218-225https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2009.04.029
- Insight in schizophrenia spectrum disorders: Relationship with behavior, mood and perceived quality of life, underlying causes and emerging treatments.World Psychiatry. 2018; 17: 12-23https://doi.org/10.1002/wps.2050
- Mental health and disorders.Nobel Medical Books, Ankara2015
- The relationship between cognitive insight and depression in psychosis and schizophrenia: A review and meta-analysis.Schizophrenia Research. 2015; 166: 261-268https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2015.05.032
- Nursing philosophy.Istanbul Medical Bookstore, Istanbul2013
- Nursing interventions in schizophrenia: The importance of therapeutic relationship.Nursing & Care Open Access Journal. 2017; 3: 331-333
- Modeling the role of negative symptoms in determining social functioning in individuals at clinical high risk of psychosis.Schizophrenia Research. 2015; 169: 204-208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2015.10.036
- Development of an individualized occupational therapy programme and its effects on the neurocognition, symptoms and social functioning of patients with schizophrenia.Occupational Therapy International. 2016; 23: 425-435https://doi.org/10.1002/oti.1445
- Therapeutic alliance in psychological therapy for people with schizophrenia and related psychoses: A systematic review.Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy. 2018; 25: e60-e85https://doi.org/10.1002/cpp.2135
- Functional recovery in schizophrenia.Revista Colombiana de Psiquiatría (English Edition). 2019; 48: 252-260https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcpeng.2017.08.004
- Effects of motivation domains on social functioning in schizophrenia with consideration of the factor structure and confounding influences.Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2021; 133: 106-112https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2020.12.027
- Impact of motivational ınterviewing on medication adherence in schizophrenia.Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2015; 36: 900-904https://doi.org/10.3109/01612840.2015.1058445
- An intergrative model of impairments in ınsight in schizophrenia: Emerging research on causal factors and treatments.Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2016; 16: 1193-1204https://doi.org/10.1080/14737175.2016.1199275
- The interplay of dopamine metabolism abnormalities and mitochondrial defects in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia.Translational Psychiatry. 2022; 12: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1038/s41398-022-02233-0
- How counseling based on acceptance and commitment therapy and supported with motivational ınterviewing affects levels of functional recovery in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia: A quasi-experimental study.Clinical Nursing Research. 2020; 30: 599-615https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773820935592
- Self-stigmatization in patients with schizophrenia, their relatives and major depressive disorder patients.Anadolu Psikiyatri Dergisi. 2012; 13: 1-7
- The effect of motivational interviews on treatment adherence and insight levels of patients with schizophrenia: A randomized controlled study.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2019; 55: 75-86https://doi.org/10.1111/ppc.12301
- The effect of mindfulness-based psychosocial skills training on functioning and insight level in patients with schizophrenia.Community Mental Health Journal. 2021; 57: 365-371https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-020-00658-9
☆This study was presented at the VI. International X. National Psychiatric Nursing Congress, which will be held online as an oral presentation on 20–23 October 2021.
☆☆The study has been read and approved by all authors. This research is an original work product.
☆☆☆This article has never been published before. Controlled in English.