Individuals diagnosed with bipolar disorder (BD) encounter difficulties in adherence to treatment and functionality. Although it is known that psychosocial interventions such as motivational interviewing (MI) and psychoeducation are important in regard to improving adherence to treatment and functionality, the content and nature of these interventions remain uncertain.
This study was conducted to determine the effects of psychoeducation and MI on treatment adherence and functionality in individuals diagnosed with BD.
In this study, a quasi-experimental pretest-posttest design with three groups was adopted. The study was completed with 199 participants in the MI (n = 32), psychoeducation (n = 31), and control (n = 56) groups.
There was a statistically significant improvement in the psychoeducation and MI groups in terms of treatment adherence compared to the control group (F = 32.672, p = 0.001, Partial η2 = 0.364). Similarly, the psychoeducation and MI groups had significantly higher functionality levels compared to the control group, and significant differences were observed between the groups regarding the degree of improvement in functionality dimensions including the feeling of stigmatization (F = 8.433, p = 0.001, Partial η2 = 0.129) and participation in social activities (F = 7.038, p = 0.001, Partial η2 = 0.110).
It can be stated that psychoeducation and MI have positive effects in terms of improvement in treatment adherence and functionality in individuals diagnosed with BD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bipolar bozuklukta Işlevsellik Ölçeğinin Geliştirilmesi, Güvenilirlik ve Geçerliliği.Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi. 2007; 18
- Morisky Tedavi Uyum Ölçeğinin iki uçlu duygudurum bozukluğu için geçerlilik ve güvenilirlik çalışması.Anatolian Journal of Psychiatry/Anadolu Psikiyatri Dergisi. 2014; 15
- Integrated motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioural therapy for people with psychosis and comorbid substance misuse: Randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2010; 341c6325
- Psychoeducation for relapse prevention in bipolar disorder: a systematic review of efficacy in randomized controlled trials.Bipolar Disord. 2015; 17 (© 2015 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd): 349-362
- Improving functioning, quality of life, and well-being in patients with bipolar disorder.International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2019; 22: 467-477
- Empirical evidence for discrete neurocognitive subgroups in bipolar disorder: Clinical implications.Psychological Medicine. 2014; 44: 3083-3096
- Psychoeducation for psychiatric inpatients following remission of a manic episode in bipolar I disorder: A randomized controlled trial.Bipolar Disorders. 2019; 21: 76-85
- Quantitative methods in psychology: A power primer.Psychological Bulletin. 1992; 112: 155-159https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.112.1.155
- A brief motivational intervention for enhancing medication adherence for adolescents with bipolar disorder: A pilot randomized trial.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2020; 265: 1-9
- Poor adherence to treatment associated with a high recurrence in a bipolar disorder outpatient sample.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2010; 127: 77-83
- Self-stigma, treatment adherence, and medication discontinuation in patients with bipolar disorders in remission–a cross sectional study.Activitas Nervosa Superior Rediviva. 2015; 57: 6-11
- Ketter T.A. Advances in treatment of bipolar disorders. American Psychiatric Pub, 2015
- Demographic and clinical characteristics of individuals in a bipolar disorder case registry.Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2002; 63: 120-125
- The effect of psychoeducation on the functioning level of patients with bipolar disorder.Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2014; 36: 312-328https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945913504038
- Self-stigmatization in patients with bipolar disorder.Neuroendocrinology Letters. 2013; 34: 265-272
- Motivational interviewing to enhance treatment attendance in mental health settings: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2017; 24: 699-718
- Psycho-education in schizophrenia.in: Schizophrenia Treatment Outcomes. Springer, Cham2020: 275-284
- Functional remediation for bipolar disorder.Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health. 2011; 7: 112
- Bipolar disorders.The Lancet. 2020; 396: 1841-1856
- The effect of nurse-led motivational interviewing on medication adherence in patients with bipolar disorder.Perspectives in Psychiatric Care. 2015; 51: 36-44
- Bipolar disorder and quality of life: A patientcentered perspective.Quality of Life Research. 2006; 15: 10
- Motivational interviewing: Helping people change.Guilford Press, 2012
- Effects of erythropoietin on hippocampal volume and memory in mood disorders.Biological Psychiatry. 2015; 78: 270-277
- Psychosocial treatment and interventions for bipolar disorder: A systematic review.Annals of General Psychiatry. 2015; 14: 1-11
- Concurrent and predictive validity of a self-reported measure of medication adherence.Medical Care. 1986; : 67-74
- Promoting medication adherence among patients with bipolar disorder: A multicenter randomized controlled trial of a multifaceted intervention.Psychological Medicine. 2017; 47: 2528-2539
- A randomized controlled trial of psychoeducation or cognitive-behavioral therapy in bipolar disorder: A Canadian network for mood and anxiety treatments (CANMAT) study.The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2012; 73: 16669
- Efficacy of psychoeducation on symptomatic and functional recovery in bipolar disorder.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2013;
- Psychoeducation in bipolar disorder: A systematic review.World Journal of Psychiatry. 2021; 11: 1407-1424https://doi.org/10.5498/wjp.v11.i12.1407
- Efficacy of psychoeducation to improve medication adherence among bipolar affective disorder: A systematic review.Indian Journal of Psychiatric Nursing. 2021; 18: 55
- Six-month functional outcome of a bipolar disorder cohort in the context of a specialized-care program.Bipolar Disorders. 2011; 13: 679-686
- Efficacy of shared decision-making on treatment adherence of patients with bipolar disorder: A cluster randomized trial (ShareD-BD).BMC Psychiatry. 2018; 18: 1-10
- Do patients with bipolar disorder and subsyndromal symptoms benefit from functional remediation? A 12-month follow-up study.European Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017; 27: 350-359
- Clinical practice guidelines for psychoeducation in psychiatric disorders general principles of psychoeducation.Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2020; 62: S319
- Randomized trial of a population-based care program for people with bipolar disorder.Psychological Medicine. 2005; 35: 13-24
- Randomized controlled trials of psychoeducation modalities in the management of bipolar disorder: A systematic review.The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2018; 79
- Integrated psychosocial treatment for negative symptoms.American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation. 2014; 17: 1-19
- A randomized trial to examine the effect of mifepristone on neuropsychological performance and mood in patients with bipolar depression.Biological Psychiatry. 2012; 72: 943-949
- Lurasidone versus treatment as usual for cognitive impairment in euthymic patients with bipolar I disorder: A randomised, open-label, pilot study.The Lancet Psychiatry. 2017; 4: 208-217
Accepted: April 30, 2023
Received in revised form: February 1, 2023
Received: September 19, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Published by Elsevier Inc.