This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This article describes the development and testing of an instrument to measure elders' concerns about their memory. The content validity was assessed using a panel of experts. Internal consistency reliability and criterion-related and predictive validity were evaluated using three samples of community-based elders. This brief paper-and-pencil instrument should be helpful to nurse clinicians in numerous settings for assessing the magnitude of elder clients' concern and in planning appropriate interventions to address their distress.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Theta reliability and factor scaling.in: Costner H.L. Sociological methodology. Jossey-Bass, Thousand Oaks, CA1974: 17-50
- Forgetfulness in elders: Strategies for protective caregiving.Geriatric Nursing. 1995; 16: 55-59
- The subjective experience of forgetfulness among elders.Qualitative Health Research. 1994; 4: 444-462
- Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika. 1951; 16: 197-333
- Questionnaire research on metamemory and aging: Issues of structure and function.in: Poon L. Rubin D. Wilson B. Everyday Cognition in Adulthood and Late Life. Cambridge University Press, San Francisco, CA1989: 384-415
- Toward healthy aging: Human needs and nursing response.3rd ed. Mosby, Cambridge, MA1990
- Mini-mental state: A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.Journal of Psychiatric Research. 1975; 12: 189-198
- The Beck depression inventory and research diagnostic criteria: Congruence in an older population.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1983; 51: 945-946
- Issues in multiple regression.American Journal of Sociology. 1968; 73: 592-616
- Adaptational factors in memory functioning in the aged.Experimental Aging Research. 1978; 4: 273-289
- Memory complaint and impairment in the aged: The effects of depression and altered brain function.Archives of General Psychiatry. 1975; 32: 1569-1573
- Foundations of Behavioral Research.2nd ed. Holt, Rinehart & Winston, St Louis, MO1973
- Foundations of behavioral research.3rd ed. Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York, N.Y.1986
- Maladaptive cognitive structures in depression.in: Coyne J. Essential Papers on Depression. New York University Press, New York, NY1985: 240-258
- Determination and quantification of content validity.Nursing Research. 1986; 35: 382-385
- Aging and mental health disorders in San Francisco.Jossey-Bass, New York, NY1967
- Psychometric Testing.2nd ed. McGraw-Hill, San Francisco, CA1978
- Physical change and aging.2nd ed. Tiresias Press, New York, NY1987
- Measurement in nursing research.Davis, New York, NY1991
- The use of self-rating depression scales in the elderly.in: Poon L. Handbook of Clinical Memory Assessment in Older Adults. American Psychological Association, Philadelphia, PA1986: 213-217
- Measurement in the social sciences: The link between theory and data.Cambridge University Press, Washington, DC1980
Project supported in part by the National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health, Grant No. F31NRO6408.
© 1998 W.B. Saunders Company. Published by Elsevier Inc.