This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This is a study of a nonrandom sample of 94 women who are in long-term sexual relationships. The women were divided into groups of heterosexual and homosexual women who reported childhood sexual abuse, and heterosexual and homosexual women who reported no history of childhood sexual abuse. The groups were rated according to their levels of sexual satisfaction and relationship satisfaction. Results indicate that women who have not been abused are more satisfied with their relationships than women who have been abused. Heterosexual and homosexual women who have a history of childhood sexual abuse are less satisfied with their sexual relationships than women without histories of abuse. However, homosexual women who have been abused rated their relationship satisfaction higher than heterosexual women who have been abused. By showing that one cannot draw conclusions about homosexual women based on research on heterosexual women, this study encourages further research to enable nurses to refine their care planning.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Long-term effects of incestuous abuse in childhood.American Journal of Psychiatry. 1986; 143: 1293-1296
- Feminist perspectives on wife abuse.in: Yllo K. Bograd M. How women define their experiences of violence. Sage Press, New York1988: 114-132
- The incest survivor syndrome.Brunner/Mazel, Newbury Park, CA1992
- Lesbian passion: Loving ourselves and each other.Aunt Lute, New York1987
- Violent betrayal: Partner abuse in lesbian relationships.Sage Press, San Francisco1992
- Rape in marriage.Macmillan, Newbury Park, CA1982
- Assessment scales scoring manual. WALMYR, New York1992
- Wife rape in a sample of psychiatric patients.Image: The Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 1990; 22: 144-147
- Wife rape: Problems in identification and treatment.American Journal of Psychotherapy. 1990; 39: 187-191
- Women's sexuality after childhood incest.W.W. Morton & Company, Tempe1992
© 1998 W.B. Saunders Company. Published by Elsevier Inc.